Mates

Thank you to everyone who voted/commented! I really appreciate it and I love hearing what you guys think of this story. I do read/reply to comments when I can, just sayin' ;) Pictured above is Halia/Riel in wolf form, and I really really suggest listening to the song in the link while reading because I think it fits the last few paragraphs perfectly. 

*****************************************************************************************************

"Mate?" Cade repeated softly, cocking his head. He was vaguely familiar with the term and its meaning to werewolves, but he wasn't a wolf. How could they be mates? "I'm not a wolf."

"Thank gods. I like you just as you are."

He cracked a smile at that and Riel smirked back. "You don't have to be a were to be mates. It happens with other species as well. Not as frequently, but it's not unheard of."

"Really?" That would explain how they connected so quickly and why he felt like he'd known Halia much longer than a week. "Did Halia know?"

She shook her head. "No."

No, Halia grumbled at her wolf. How could you keep this from me?

Well now you know.

"Why not?"

"Aren't you curious?" She huffed and gently shoved his face away as she slipped back into the pond. He took a step back while she slid down his front into the warm water. "I wanted to make sure it was true. And it took me awhile to get back to myself."

Suddenly concerned, he placed a palm over her brow. "How do you feel now?"

Her eyes shut against the warmth of his hand and she murmured. "Fantastic."

"Good," He sighed in relief and hugged her to his frame. Riel was very different from Halia but he liked her already.

"Mm, very good." She hummed and drew back slightly so she could gaze up at him. "That spell you're working on isn't necessary. I won't go rouge anymore."

Green eyes fixed on her inquisitively. "How?"

With a shrug she nuzzled into his side. "We're mates. You're my pack now."

"A pack of two?"

Riel laughed throatily, tossing her head back. "So many questions, Caedus. Yes, a pack of two. We can make it more if you like." Her brow rose suggestively and he felt like he might combust. The two of them were going to be the death of him. He didn't respond but shook his head in amusement. Maybe they were more alike than he thought.

She grinned and nudged him in the shoulder. "What? You don't want to be a daddy?"

Cade snorted, flipping onto his back as he floated. "Not anytime soon, no." He'd honestly never thought about kids. There were no female vampires in the coven and even if there were, he couldn't imagine raising a child in that environment. He'd never touched the human females either. He couldn't stomach the idea of taking anyone against their will. No, children were the farthest things from his mind. He wasn't even sure if he could have offspring since vampires were notorious for being nearly infertile. But then again Hizen managed well enough. And he was half human... His nose wrinkled at his thoughts and he shot her a glare that lacked real anger. Not 10 minutes after officially meeting and she was already making his mind run in circles.

Riel sensed his riled thoughts and jeered lightly. "I want a whole litter. We'll have beautiful pups."

He closed his eyes and murmured indulgently, deciding to humor the wolf. "I'm sure we will."