Memories

Hey y'all. Have I told you that college owns my soul? I'm sorry for the wait (again, lmao) and hello to all my new followers! I see you. 

***

Hizen ducked away from his son's quarters as the happy reunion commenced. He had no place in their celebration. Blue fire lit his path from the inner caverns while silent footfalls led him out of the mountain. A small fissure of desire clawed at his gut and he bit back a low growl.

The girl was a welp.

A child.

And he had no business with children.

Biron was standing guard at the mouth of the cave and nodded as he passed, lips pressed together in a tight line. He would not comment on the heavy stench of wolf that clung to his leader's skin. It would be...unwise.

The slight quirk of Hizen's mouth went unnoticed by the other, his stride quick and unbroken. Hizen always appreciated Biron's restraint. He kept his mouth shut despite whatever personal opinions he had himself.

The steady thrum of animal life pulsed through the night air, delicate swirls of first snow drifting to the ground. His boots crunched over detritus and other decaying plant-life that had fallen from the trees overhead to the earth below as the steady change of season pushed life into its next phase.

Hizen couldn't feel the cold. It was an obscure concept to him, one that he'd only truly witnessed in Vela. Cade, to some extent, was vulnerable. But not like a full human.

Snow caught in his black hair as he continued on the path toward town, brows lowered over pale eyes. It wasn't often that he thought of Vela. He actively avoided it. It was only when he least expected it that her memory would assault his senses.

***

"Get off," An elbow jabbed the hard bulk of his abdomen and Hizen growled around the flesh in his mouth. His tongue laved at the twin punctures along her neck and Vela repeated with an annoyed huff.

"Hizen. Let go. That's enough."

His fangs dug deeper into her skin as he took a final pull, her breath hissing out in a curse. His mouth left the bites with a final lick and he lapped the blood from his lips. Hizen rolled his weight off her back and Vela gingerly sat up in the sheets, fingers skirting over the tender mark as she shot him an accusing glare.

"You don't listen."

A fanged smile was his response, tongue curling over a bloody canine. "Sure I do. I let you go, didn't I?"

Vela continued glaring as she climbed to her feet in search of a clean set of clothes. Her hips and thighs were an angry shade of red, bruises forming where his grip had been a bit too tight. The curve of her spine was followed by a shallow cut where his claw had caught skin. His gums throbbed in another bout of want. Her taste was still thick in his throat.

He opened his mouth to say more when his ears pricked. He heard the soft patter of footsteps from yards away and slid a slow glance at Vela. She'd tugged a long shirt over herself, hem falling almost to her knees as she tied long brown hair up in a bun. Hizen dragged a hand down his stomach and tugged the blankets over his waist as the curtain to his room was grasped by chubby fingers.

Owlish green eyes blinked in pleasure as the baby toddled over to his mother, cooing and babbling as hugged her legs. There was no question of the toddler having free reign to wander where he pleased. Hizen had made it clear to his coven that if any harm came to his son, there would be a massacre.