Protector

"You can open your eyes now. We're here."

Halia's eyes shot open and she craned her neck, curiously observing as they moved deeper into the dark cavern. The further they went through the winding space the more confused she became. It was like a maze with random left and right turns that made her reel. The tunnel abruptly widened into an expansive dome with high ceilings where massive crystals hung suspended. Sconces that burned with ethereal blue fire lined the walls surrounding what appeared to be the clan's gathering spot. A few vampires milled about, conversing with one another or lounging on the circular seating carved into the center of the stone floor.

They were immediately aware of the wolf's presence and hissed quiet warnings as they circled closer. Cade frowned at his approaching clan and quickly answered with a warning of his own.

"Stand down. She is under my protection."

The growls abruptly stopped but they continued forward with narrowed eyes.

"What is a mutt doing here?"

"She looks filthy."

"Must you always rescue beasts?"

Cade ignored the barrage of questions and insults, continuing through the cave. He needed to find his father quickly.

Halia's brows creased with worry and she whispered remorsefully. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to make your people upset with you."

Still distracted with trying to find Hizen, he glanced down in surprise. She was worried about his reputation? He chuckled at the absurdity. They were always upset with him for one reason or another.

Halia watched mesmerized as the man laughed, the sudden warmth that radiated from him instinctively drawing her closer. She could feel the vibrations from his chest moving through her body as he held her. In this moment it was obvious that Cade was very different from the others. He seemed almost...human.

As his laughter ebbed he shifted her in his hold. He hadn't laughed in a long time and the sensation was rejuvenating. Cade found his touch gentling toward the she-wolf and he gave her cheek a quick nuzzle to convey his appreciation.

"I'll be fine, Halia. You should worry about yourself first."

She immediately craved his touch once more when he pulled away. Her cheek tingled where his had brushed hers and like a woman possessed, she had to bite her tongue to keep from reciprocating the action.

Cade felt a subtle tug in his mind.

Father. I am trying to find you.

Hizen projected an image of where he was and retracted his conscious from his son's. It was only minutes later when he appeared in front of him, cradling a small werewolf to his chest. Biron had informed him of Cade's intentions so he wasn't surprised to see the wolf. However, he was caught off guard by just how protective his son was over her. Before Hizen could get a word out, Cade launched into a monologue.

"She hasn't done anything wrong, father. We found her alone and there were no other wolves in the area. Biron attacked her first, she didn't instigate anything," He broke off with a muttered expletive as he recalled the fight. "Halia has done nothing wrong." Cade repeated, meeting his father's gaze.

Hizen could hear the edge of desperation in his voice and he cocked his head to the side. He knew his son was a compassionate creature but he doubted it was only pity the boy felt for her.

"What is it that you're asking for, Caedus?" Hizen turned his eyes on the slight woman, bundled in a coat that swallowed her frame. "Do you want to keep her?" He smirked faintly.