Cold

I'm tired. Goodnight. 

*****

When the saturated fog finally cleared from Cade's mind, his first thought was that he felt gorged. His stomach sloshed full of blood, bloated and content. His second thought was less clear. Something nagged at the back of his skull, a worried feeling that he couldn't quite place...

A small moan below him had its intended effect and he sluggishly moved to locate the source. In an instant, Cade recoiled with a startled sound and blinked hard. Halia was splayed beneath him, clinging to the edge of the pool as she sucked in panting breaths. She was submerged up to her waist, the soft skin of her naked back marked with streaks of his spend. Her curls spilled to the side to bare one bloody shoulder, ragged from where his fangs had torn into flesh.

Cade froze as ice licked at his veins.

Halia cracked open an eye and slowly shifted onto her elbows as cool air teased down her spine. Cade had been draped over her a moment ago, nuzzling and lapping at any part of her he could reach. Now quiet ripples bobbed in the space between them. Halia forced her eyes to remain open and stared at the stone floor as she gathered herself, wooziness making her vision swim. Without warning she dug the heel of her palm into her neck and winced at the sharp sting, needing the bite of pain to ground herself. The punctures wouldn't kill her—far from it— but still, he certainly hadn't held back...

A wounded noise, like an animal kicked in its side, made her ears twitch. Halia struggled on wobbly legs to turn to her mate, a question hovering on her lips.

What

A glaze of horror stretched over his emerald irises. His mouth was slack as they roved across her shivering form and she felt a punch of anxiety steal her breath. Why was he looking at her like that? Like his worst nightmare was staring him in the face?

"Cade," Halia ignored the nervous churning in her stomach and forced herself to be firm. "What's the matter?"

He remained silent, eyes fixed on the hand-shaped bruises dotting her hips and thighs...at the blood smeared across her skin. His fingers flexed at his side and he took a stumbled step back as mounting horror made his chest seize. How could he do this to her?

Seeing his retreat, Halia lunged forward to grab him close.

Mistake.

Her knees gave out with a sharp buckle that neither of them saw coming. But Cade wasn't so far that he couldn't catch her and moved on instinct, piling her into his arms before she could dunk beneath the surface. Small palms held his shoulders as dewy brown eyes met his and he jolted in shame. His chest heaved under the grip of her hands and his mind screamed at him to run before he hurt her anymore. Before he lost control a second time and—

Halia stood on her toes and nuzzled a soft cheek to his, humming. "Don't. I can hear you, Cade. Please don't think you hurt me. You didn't."

What felt like a rock choking his windpipe had to be cleared before he could whimper. "But...I-I," His fingers raised to the swollen, angry bites on her neck, not quite touching. They hovered close while a tentative stream of magic caressed the wounds and reknit torn skin. Once fully healed, he banished the urge to smooth his knuckles over her throat. To gently prod and test the work of his doctoring. Instead, he balled his hand into a tight fist and let it hang limp at his side. He looked away in regret and felt a sharp sting behind his eyes. He'd done this to her. "I'm...so sorry."

Halia was at a loss for words. She could feel his remorse barreling against her, an unending wave of guilt. He thought he'd forced her. Like she hadn't wanted this from the very start.