Revealed

Hey guys! Please vote or comment if you like the chapter. It lets me know what I'm doing right/wrong. Enjoy!

*********************

"Halia?" Cade was disturbed by the violent tremors wracking her frame but found himself absolutely horrified by the fear etched into her face. He had put that expression there. "I'm sorry, it wasn't my intention to—"

"No," She gasped breathlessly and flashed him a pained smile. "Don't apologize. You have every right. I am alone, Cade. I swear it."

He gave a terse nod in understanding and released his tight grip on her shoulders. She appeared to compose herself and wrapped the towel securely around herself. "I can tell you more about myself, if you'd like. I owe you at least that much."

"I would like that." He cleared his throat and motioned for her to follow closely as he led the way to his quarters. She looked tired and his room would be more appropriate for this conversation. And she needed clothes. Immediately.

She didn't seem particularly bothered by her nudity but others here might take it as an open invitation and he wanted to avoid any confrontations if possible. His hand flexed unconsciously and he sighed. He would break jaws if he had to, though it was his least preferred form of persuasion.

Halia trailed behind him like a frightened pup and cursed herself. She felt like a child, dependent on adults to decide her fate. She was at extreme odds with herself. It was in her nature to seek companionship and she thirsted for a pack—of the idea of what a pack could be. She wanted to be understood, and trusted, and loved. She hadn't had that before. Yet she also desired independence. She didn't want to be defined solely as a wolf. She wanted to be recognized as an individual.

Cade welcomed her into his personal space with a murmured assurance. "You're safe here. The others won't bother you." They wouldn't dare. Not in my own room.

She stared in wonder at the eclectic arrangement of his room. Tapestries with exotic designs and colorful patterns hung from dark stone walls where those curious veins of light flickered to life. The remaining wall space was taken up by shelves of books interspersed with trinkets and the odd plant or two. Plush woven rugs were laid across the floor and there was a strange fireplace-like structure tucked away in a corner, though no fire burned in its hearth and a grate covered the opening. His bed was surprisingly small and the majority was buried under various pelts and decorative pillows.

Halia took a step forward and a small furry body wriggled out from between the sheets with a pleased meow. The cat leapt to the ground and trotted up to the pair. It rubbed itself against Cade's leg and purred in approval when he lifted the feline into his arms.

Cade presented the cat to her with a soft grin. "This is Onna. She's been with me for about a year."

Halia eyed her warily and glanced at Cade. He seemed excited to introduce her. "She's uh... cute?"

He smiled harder, unconvinced that was a truthful sentiment. Onna had been severely burned and beaten when he found her and he'd barely been able to save her at the time. Some of her wounds were too extensive to fully heal and as a result missing patches of fur marked her body where the flesh beneath had been mangled by fire. She was missing an ear and her lower jaw didn't completely align with the upper half. Despite her physical appearance she was happy and healthy. Onna's gnarled form had endeared her to him and he thought that she was actually quite cute, though others weren't so easy to convince.

"Isn't she?" Cade agreed with a laugh and set the feline down. She sniffed Halia's foot and appeared to find nothing of great interest. Her tail twitched slightly before she retreated to the bed and dug herself under the covers again. "She's a bit shy..."