Fury

author's note: *shrieking intensifies* HoOOOoly shit. I can't believe it's been eight months since I've updated this story. Y'all really felt that everyday, huh. I hope this chapter makes up for my absence. Enjoy. 

If Hizen thought to ask Sahira to stay, he kept it as a thought. She didn't have anything to her name except for the clothes on her back, so there wasn't much she could do to prepare. Trying to follow Halia and Cade from the room, she was stopped by a hand on her wrist.

"Where do you think you're going?" Hizen regarded her with a bewildered frown and the pressure on her hand increased the slightest fraction.

Cade paused at the curtain, glowering as he turned to the pair. "Let her go—"

"Caedus. This doesn't concern you," glacial irises simmered in burgeoning anger. "Leave. She'll be fine with me."

Halia peered at Sahira and the fear written on her face eased enough for her to give a short nod.

I'm okay.

Halia nudged Cade in the side and looped an arm around his as she followed the cloud Ray had kicked up in his hast. Cade wanted to protest more but she hushed him with a quick glance. He gave a reluctant mumble but acquiesced and hurried down the hall after Ray, Halia matching his stride.

As the two left, Sahira dropped her head into her hands and shook off Hizen's touch.

"You should get ready," she mumbled between the fingers clasped over her face. "We'll lose the trail if it takes too long—"

Hizen snagged her by the waist and reeled her into his chest, lips finding the soft expanse of her throat while he murmured.

"Don't pull away from me, Sahira. I won't tolerate it."

She grunted at the bind of his arms and sagged. "Forgive me," her tone said the opposite. "It wasn't my intention to hurt your feelings."

There was a snap to her words, and he wasn't wholly irrational. He could understand her anxiety and concern. It was natural.

However.

"Your brother will be fine. If he was taken with one of my men, he'll be safe."

"You're talking about the vampire at the gate? The one who thinks we're dogs?"

Hizen scowled into her nape. "He hasn't said that to you, has he?"

Sahira tried to wriggle in his embrace and he wound himself closer in silent rebuke.

"No. He hasn't. But he didn't have to, I could tell."

"Well," Hizen murmured and dropped a soft kiss to the edge of her jaw. "That doesn't change anything. Biron will protect him, you have my word."

She was mildly placated by his assurance but still struggled in his hold. "Hizen. You need to let go. Shouldn't you be getting prepared?"

He seemed confused by the idea. "I am prepared."

Sahira palmed his waist, feeling a noticeable lack of weapons. "But, you're not armed...?"

Hizen threw his head back and laughed.

And laughed.

And continued laughing, until Sahira hit him in the chest.

"Oh, little wolf. I know the timing isn't quite right, but you're truly adorable."

He eased his grip enough for her to turn to face him. His lips were curved in a fond smirk and Sahira felt her heart flop.

"I don't need weapons."