Again

It was Biron who met them at the mouth of the cave, his face comically twisted in exasperation at the two additions. "Again?" He growled in frustration but made no move to stop them from entering. "Why do you insist on bringing in strays under my watch?"

Cade shot him a stern look and shouldered past, muttering a spell to allow the kids passage through the barrier. Sahira was still unconscious and Cade shifted his grip beneath her knees to keep her from slipping loose. Jude had reluctantly yielded to his offer after nearly dropping the girl for the third time. He stuck close to Cade's side and cast an anxious glance at the older vampire staring him down. Biron's lips curled in a half snarl and the boy ducked behind Cade's bulk.

Surprisingly, it was Ray who rebuffed him. He cuffed the taller vampire on the back of the head and skipped out of reach when he whipped around to swipe at him. Biron grumbled low in his throat and smoothed a hand over the ruffled hair at his nape, eyes narrowed. "And where've you been?"

"Around." The blonde smirked at the other's keen interest in his whereabouts. "Why? Were you lonely?"

Biron grunted and turned away. "Hardly." His gaze was drawn back to the young wolves and his nose wrinkled in distaste. "Don't let me keep you."

Cade continued walking as Ray lagged behind, thoughts elsewhere. He didn't really know what he was going to say to Hizen or do with the wolves for that matter. But he couldn't have that conversation out in the open woods where anyone could find them. And turning them loose wasn't an option just yet, not before he figured out why they were here in the first place.

"Watch your step," Cade murmured to Jude, motioning toward a jagged ledge. "Stay behind me."

"Okay—" A broken yelp followed as he tripped over uneven ground and fell into Cade's back with an 'oomph'. "S-sorry."

He looked over his shoulder, mouth set in a concerned line. "It's fine. Are you alright?"

Quickly righting himself he shook dangling curls from his face and clenched his jaw, annoyed at himself. "It's... nothing."

Cade watched the wolf from the corner of his eye as they once again lapsed back into silence. He didn't expect much out of him right now. Jude was obviously scared, unsure of what was going to happen to him or his sister. Cade could only promise them so much. He would protect the children while they were there, that was guaranteed. But after everything was said and done...ultimately, he had no control over the others no matter how vehemently he would fight to keep them safe.

As they neared the yawning entry of the main cavern, a blurry form darted past the three and waved as he went. "Give me a minute to distract them, yeah?" Ray was grinning and flipped him a salute before he disappeared inside. Only moments later, a series of agitated snarls and hisses trickled into the hall as Ray's boisterous laughter echoed down another passage. Cade waited another beat until he was sure the cavern had cleared and hurriedly crossed the empty expanse, nudging Jude to match his own brisk pace. He didn't need to run into anyone with two werewolves in tow. Gods help him if anyone actually decided to start something.

The winding halls to Hizen's quarters were quiet as per usual. It wasn't odd to find the leader of the coven sequestered alone. So imagine his surprise when he pushed back the curtains of his room to discover Uric, Luke and Jean all huddled around Hizen's desk. Synchronized, they turned at his entrance and Cade felt his stomach drop. Of all the vampires to meet, these were his least favorite. And he was sure they felt likewise. Their attention zeroed in on the young wolves and it was only Hizen clearing his throat that shifted their predatory focus.