33. Defenders of Hogwarts

“I need you to get everybody into the great hall.” Harry told you sternly. Whatever he had to look for, it was just going to be him, Hermione, and Ron.

“Right.” you turned on your heel to face the crowd. “Come on you sorry lot, let’s go to the great hall.” no one had dared argued with you. You were the one that had taken up the post of teaching them defensive spells, and muggle fighting while Harry was gone. They were more than well aware of what you were capable of.

The room of requirement emptied steadily after you, following you down to the great hall where Professor McGonagall stood awaiting all the students.

“All students will be evacuated.” Professor McGonagall’s voice rang out through the silent hall.

“What about those of us who want to stay and fight?” A voice over from the Hufflepuff table asked.

“Then those of you who are of age can stay.” McGonagall answered. “We have placed protection around the castle, but it is unlikely to hold very long unless we reinforce it. I must ask you, therefore, to move quickly and calmly and do as your prefects-” she was cut off by a cold voice that had taken over the great hall.

“We know you are preparing to fight.” there were screams from some students, while others clutched to each other looking around terrified for the source of the voice. “Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood.”

There was silence through the great hall, the kind that pressed on eardrums, the kind that was deafening.

“Give me Harry Potter,” said Voldemort’s voice, ‘and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter, and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded… You have until midnight.”

The silence swallowed the students once more, eyes were turning to look at Harry Potter, who was creeping along the walls by the Gryffindor table.

“But he’s there! Right there! Somebody grab him!” Pansy Parkinson’s voice echoed through the great hall.

Before anybody could say anything the Gryffindor’s all rose from their seats, and stood. Not facing Harry, but stood with their backs to him, facing Pansy instead. Seconds later both Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff houses followed suit.

“Thank you Miss. Parkinson.” McGonagall said calmly, “you will be the first to leave with Mr. Filch. You can take the rest of your house with you.”

Silently the Slytherin’s all stood and followed Filch out of the great hall. You were the only one standing there after your house left.

“Ravenclaws, follow on!” McGonagall called over the scraping and shuffling of students and benches.

Eventually the house tables had emptied, except for those students who wanted to stay and fight.

McGonagall had found a few under aged students and kicked them out. While the students were leaving the hall, The Order arrived.

Kingsley captured the attention of the students and teachers now huddled in the great hall. “We’ve only got a half hour until midnight, so we need to act fast! A battle plan has been agreed upon by the teachers of Hogwarts and The Order of The Phoenix. Professors Flitwick, Sprout, and McGonagall are going to take fighters up to the three highest Towers - Ravenclaw, Astronomy, and Gryffindor - where they’ll have a good overview, excellent positions from which to work spells. Meanwhile Remus” he pointed towards Lupin, “Arthur.” He pointed towards Mr. Weasley, sitting at the Gryffindor table, “and I will take groups into the grounds. We’ll need somebody to organize defence of the entrances of the passageways into the school-”