Building Blocks

I switched my weight on to my other foot. It was cold as hell outside, and I've been on guard with Carl for about an hour. It already felt like my fingers were going numb. 

"How you doin', kid?" I asked Carl, wanting to start up a conversation. 

He looked at me, lifting his head up more than he should have, only because Rick's sheriff hat was too big, though. "Do you ever wonder if my dad's still in a coma, and this is just a dream of his?" 

I smiled. "Probably too much.." 

"Do you think it's possible?" 

"Don't think so.." 

He looked disappointed with the answer. "Can I ask you something personal?" 

"Sure.." I was curious.

"What happened to your dad?" 

"Uhm.." Part of the smile that was left over went away. "He was sick for awhile. He started coughing, having mini heartattacks at the least expecting times. He refused to go to the doctor, said he didn't want no government person inside his body if he didn't really know what they were doing to him. So, he continued to have the same symptoms for about two years. Then, he started waking up in the night, cold, even though there was a puddle of sweat in his bed. When he had a stroke, I finally convinced him to go to the hospital. After a year of testing him, they still couldn't figure out what was wrong with him. He gave up. He said he didn't want to be on the government's radar anymore." Stubborn ass. "A year passed, his symptoms got worst as it did. I remember walking into his bedroom... I found him dead. He died in his sleep, peacefully." That's probably the only thing that makes it somewhat okay. 

"And your mom?" 

"Your guess is as good as mine." I put a smile on my face, even though I didn't naturally feel like having one. "She wasn't the best mother. Her and my dad got a divorce a long time ago. My brother decided to live with her.. I stayed with my dad." 

"So, you don't know--" 

"Hey," Tyreese and Sasha popped up. "dinner's ready." 

"We'll take guard while you guys eat." 

"Thanks." I walked away, probably suspiciously quick. I wanted to get away from Carl's questions. 

*Flashback. 13 years ago. Ami's POV*

"Cassie!" I opened the door. "I finally got a mobile phone!" I checked it out as I walked into the living room. "It's weird... But, don't worry; I'll share it with you." I smiled then looked up. "Cassie? Cassie!" 

"I'm in here, Ami..!" I heard Cassie's voice from the kitchen, I think. 

"Oh," I walked into the kitchen. My smile went away. I saw a woman standing with Cassie. The woman resembled my mother. Cassie looked ashamed or uncomfortable almost. "Who's this?" 

"It's your mom." The woman said, a witch smile on her face. 

"She said it was important that she talked to you." Cassie spoke. 

"How'd you find me?" I asked my mother,

"I don't even get an 'I missed you' or at least a 'hi'?" 

"No." I said flat. "How'd you find me?" 

"If you must know, I hired a private detective."

My dad would be disappointed that I didn't figure out that someone was tailing me. "So," I sat my prized phone on the counter. "what're you here for?" 

She looked at Cassie. "Can we have a moment to talk?" 

"Uh," Cassie looked relieved. "Yeah." As Cassie walked out, she mouthed 'good luck' to me.