This is War

"Merle's never done anything like that in his life." Daryl told me in a cell, so everyone else wouldn't see tears on his face.

"Merle was a hero for what he did. He did it to save us. Unfortunately, real heroes don't have happy endings."

Daryl stared at the ground and shook his head. "I'm goin' to kill the Governor."

"Get in line." I paused. I stared at the man that I used to think could never cry. I moved my head, so I would be in his sight. "We're going to. We're going to kill him. I'll kill him, if it's the last thing I do."

Daryl quickly got rid of a tear that fell on his cheek and looked at me. "Don't. You saw what happened to Merle when he tried to kill the Governor. I'm not goin' to let that happen again to you." I nodded my head to what Daryl said. I wasn't really agreeing though. I'm still going to kill the Governor tomorrow. I don't care if I die doing it either.

"Daryl, I'm goin' to do whatever I can to protect you."

The mood in his face changed. "I don't need no fuckin' protecting." The rasp in his voice was deep.

His mood changed mine. "We all need--" I stopped myself and loosened my tense facial muscles. "Fine.."

*

I sat next to Daryl as he lightly slept, like every night. Rick's plan for tomorrow kept running through my head. I rubbed my temples as my A.D.D. mind roamed. I'll get the Governor when he's running through the smoke bomb. What if I get shot? What if Daryl dies? I can't believe Merle's dead. I'm going to fucking kill that son of a bitch. Cassie's dead. My brother's dead. My dad's dead. Lori's dead. T-dog got ate. Dale got his guts ripped out. Shane tried to kill Rick. Rick killed Shane. Carl killed Shane's zombie. They'll be more like the Governor. Judith has to live. My head was pounding. I started to get a migraine.

*

"What're you plannin' that you're not tellin' me?" Rick came over and asked as I tried to fit my bag in the packed trunk.

I didn't react, so he wouldn't think I was lying. Plus, I was still pissed at him for the Michonne thing. "I don't know what your talkin' about." I started walking back into the prison for the rest of my things.

He followed after me quickly. "You and I both know you're planning something." He stopped in front of me, forcing me to look him in the eyes.

I leaned in to get in his face. "I don't know what the hell you're talking about." I walked around him to go back into the prison. He grabbed my arm before I could get too far away. Unlucky for him, it was my bad arm. I gritted my teeth. "What the hell is your problem!?" Everyone looked at me.

Daryl walked over. "What the hell did you do to her?" He had a face of forced anger because he didn't know why he should be mad.

"I'm sorry." He said to me with a hint of guilt. "I forgot about it."

"Jesus fuckin' Christ." I turned around, annoyed with life. I walked back into the cell block, passing Hershel and Beth. They were bringing their stuff outside as I was coming in.

Once their footsteps disappeared, I heard another pair. I dreaded to turn around to find out who they belonged to. "Answer me." Rick's voice said.

I stared at the wall straight in front of me instead of turning around to look at him. "For the last time, I'm not planning nothing."

"We don't have time for bullshit."

"Fine." I turned around. "When all of y'all are using throwing smoke bombs, I'm going to drag the Governor into a room, show him what a bullet feels like."