Life in the Woods

"Shit," Cassie muttered, while looking through binoculars on the RV roof.

"What?" I stopped sharpening the knifes. "What'd you see?" 

"Come up here," I did as Cassie said. “You see that?” Cassie handed me the binoculars and pointed off to the east of us.

“What is that?” I asked her, holding the binoculars up to my face.

“I think it’s either zombies or another group.”

“What the hell?” I was frightened, looking at Cassie, wondering if she could see anything I couldn’t.

“That," she nodded her head in the same direction, as she pointed to earlier. 

It was a red sports car. It was driving toward the group we were looking at earlier. Soon after the red car stopped, a white van pulled up behind it.

“Come on,” I told Cassie.

“Where we goin'?” she asked.

“What do you think? We're goin' to go see what's goin' on over there.” I told her, climbing down.

She sighed and climbed off the roof, too. "What if they see us and shoot?"

"Well, if those are zombies, then they can wander over to us. And if it's a group, they might attack us in the night."

She stomped her way over to the bags leaning against the RV like a child. We kept them there just in case we ever needed to leave fast. That's probably my number one rule: Never get too comfortable. Soon, we left the none-working RV site to see our neighbors. 

“It should be around here somewhere.” I whispered to Cassie.

“There they are."

We hid behind a bush, gripping our knives tight. When I looked at the group, I could see a bunch of people. They were living. I saw a couple of kids and adults, but most of the attention was directed to a man screaming about something. Though I had bad eye sight, I squinted. The blury man got clear a little. The man that I saw sent chivers down my spine. It was Daryl. Well, at least it looked like him. 

“Ami,” Cassie paused making sure I heard her. “Is that Daryl?”

"Jesus, I hope not." 

"I think it is." She paused, then looked at me. "What is he screaming about?”

I didn’t really care for Daryl. I had a little feelings for him before, but after I went into rehab, I realized he wasn’t a person I should be hanging around with, since he was the first person to introduce me to pills.

“I don’t know, I can’t hear him.”

She started looking at the group again. “Should we show ourselves?” Obviously, she was dying to talk to someone she knew in the good years, besides me.

I sighed, thinking about the answer.  “Do you really want to?" I dreaded the answer I knew she was going to say. I just wanted to stall, so I could prepare myself to talk Daryl. 

"Yes." 

I sighed again. "Fine, just try not to get shot."

*

“Daryl?” Cassie and I stepped out of the bushes. The attention was immediately directed at us. A few men raised their guns. Daryl stared at us. “Damn, it really is you.” Cassie said.

 "Didn't think y'all would still be alive." He walked closer, not getting too close, though. 

“Come on, Daryl, you really didn’t think I would go down without a fight, did you?” The bitch in me smiled. He looked at me with no emotions. Then, he looked back at Cassie; a bit of hatred in his eyes.

“Who are your friends?” A man came up to Daryl.

He glanced at the man standing next to him. Daryl tried to hold back rage and furry. I've never seen Daryl look at someone like that before. 

Since Daryl didn't answer him, he decided to speak for himself. “I’m Shane.” The man stuck his hand out for us to shake. We both shook his hand. 

“Is Merle here?” Cassie said being careful with her words. She knew there was a chance that he might not be alive anymore. I mean, my brother died... a lot of people died.

“No, this idiot handcuffed him to the roof!” Daryl pointed out a man wearing a sheriff’s uniform.

“Look, I told you I’m sorry. He was shooting at walkers, wasting bullets that you guys don’t have. He was hitting T-Dog.” The sheriff told Daryl.

“It was my fault. I’m the one who dropped the key.” The only black man said.

Daryl gave the black man a look of hatred, but that's usually how Daryl looks at most people. “I’m going back to get him.” 

The sheriff looked at a woman, then he looked back at Daryl, not knowing if the words that are going to come out of his mouth are the best decision."I'm comin', too." 

"I will, too.” The black man spoke again.

“Well, I guess I have to go, too, then. I’m the only one who knows how to get in and out fast.” An Asian, young fellow said.

“We’ll go, too.” Cassie volunteered us.

“Cassie,” I shouted/yelled back at her, shooting a look. 

She didn’t even look at me.

Cassie was probably the only person in the world that I would let control me. I was a very dominate person, and so was Cassie; one of us has to learn to shut up sometimes. Most of the time, though, it was me. 

“Alright, enough talking, let’s go.” Daryl said, walking off.