thirty-seven: applesauce

The next few days were completely normal, almost like the two boys hadn't slept together... almost like absolutely nothing happened, but they knew better. There was still a tension in the room every time Zayn came to visit the boys and they weren't the only ones to notice. Harry had finally made it back from visiting his family up in Cheshire, he had been gone for a few days but when he walked into the house... He felt like something had changed.

Zayn was sitting in the front room on the floor, playing with both Ethan and Nathan but Louis was nowhere in sight. Harry was a little worried at first, but he figured it was just because he was giving Zayn time alone with the twins. The young man clears his throat, letting his presence be known to Zayn and the twins. Nathan was the only one to look up though, his eyes brightening when he saw his favorite uncle.

"Da!" Nathan shrieks, surprising both Harry and Zayn. At first Zayn thought Nathan was talking to him, but when he followed the small baby's gaze only to find Harry at the receiving end... Zayn was more than a little upset.

But he knew he didn't have the right to be. Harry had been more of a father to both Ethan and Nathan than Zayn... so it made sense for the twins to assume that Harry was their father.

Harry was frozen on the spot, mainly due to the fact that he knew Zayn was glaring at him. Nathan had called Harry "da" several times, normally just around Louis who would normally just shake his head before quietly telling Nathan that Harry wasn't his father.

"Uh... Where's Lou?" Harry asks, breaking the awkward silence that had fallen over the room. Really it wasn't completely silent, Nathan was being very vocal today while Ethan just stared at his older brother.

"He's in the kitchen last I checked, getting the twins a snack." Zayn says, his voice void of any emotion as he continues to stare at Harry.

"Cool... I'll go help him." Harry says quickly, wanting to get out of the room as fast as he could. Zayn just shrugs, letting Harry do what he wants even if all he wanted to do was show Harry his place. Harry rushes out of the room, practically running into the kitchen where Louis was supposedly at. A frown finds its way onto Harry's face though when he doesn't see Louis there, but the door to the back porch was open and Harry could see Louis standing out there.

"Hey, long time no see..." Harry says the second he joins Louis on the porch. Louis doesn't really say anything back, just nodding as he continues to stare out in the backyard. It took on look for Harry to know that something was wrong with Louis. The young father's eyes were bloodshot and red around the edges, he'd been crying and Harry could only assume why.

"What'd he do?" Harry asks, earning a confused look from Louis. It takes Louis a moment to realize he was talking about Zayn. Louis lets out a long sigh, wiping at his eyes before looking at Harry with a sad smile.

"He didn't do anything. This time it's me." Louis whispers and it was Harry's turn to be confused.

"Something happened while I was gone." Harry points out, earning a nod from Louis. Louis wraps his arms around himself, letting out yet another sigh as he looks back into the house. He knew that he didn't have much time, the twins would eventually get grumpy and Zayn would come looking for him. He didn't have the time to explain what happened to Harry, even if he wanted to. Louis was just confused and having Zayn around right now wasn't helping matters much.

"Are you going to tell me?" Harry pushes and Louis shakes his head.

"Not right now, this is something I need to figure out by myself..." Louis says before walking into the house. Harry follows him, knowing better than to keep pushing Louis to tell him more. He'd learned a lot about Louis in the past two years, not that he didn't already know Louis like the back of his hand before.

"So how was your trip?" Louis asks, changing the subject as he grabs some applesauce for the twins. Harry sits down on the bar stool, a soft smile on his face as he does so.

"It was good, Mum and Gemma send their love. They want you to bring Ethan and Nathan down to see them, Mum hasn't seen them since they were born."

"I'll have to think about it." Louis says, he sounded distracted as he scoops the applesauce into some bowls. Louis could hear Zayn talking to the twins in the other room, Nathan's loud shrieks echoing into the kitchen. Harry bites his bottom lip, feeling concerned for Louis.

"Nathan called me Da again..."

"He's always calling you Da. He thinks you're his father." Louis whispers, placing the spoon he was using for the applesauce onto the counter rather roughly. Harry didn't get why Louis was acting like this... He didn't get why he was so upset... and all he wanted to do was help.

"I'm not though."

"Sometimes I wish you were." And with that Louis grabs the two bowls of applesauce and walks out of the room, leaving Harry staring after him in complete shock.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Well shit.

That happened.

Dedication goes to romanriverrose

QOTC: do you think Louis actually meant it when he said he wished Harry was the father of Nathan and Ethan? Do you think Harry feels the same?

Comment

and

Vote

Connie xx