thirty-one: miles away

Zayn was glaring at Liam. Liam was glaring at Zayn. Louis was standing between them both and Harry was holding two very squirmy boys in the kitchen waiting for his cue.

"How'd you find him?" Liam asks, continuing to glare at Zayn as the other boy let out a snort.

"Why does it matter? You were no help."

"Only because you didn't f ucking deserve to know."

"Who are you to tell me what I deserve? They're my sons, my family. Not yours." Zayn almost yells and Louis was having none of it. He turned his attention away from Liam, completely focusing on Zayn for a moment.

"There will be no fighting around my children. I don't care if you hate each other, grow the f uck up. If you want a chance Zayn, you'll do as I say." Louis says quickly before turning his attention back to Liam.

"And you, stop picking fights. Zayn is here because I asked him to come. I am giving him a chance, I don't care if you think it's a stupid idea. I don't care if you're upset about it. I don't f ucking care because it's my choice. So you can either grow up too or you can leave and I'll talk to you later." Louis says, leaving both Zayn and Liam completely speechless.

"Am I understood?" Louis asks after he lets the other two think about what he'd just said. He earns nods from both boys and Louis lets out a relieved sigh. He was in no mood to put up with the stepbrothers. They were both stubborn and hard headed.

"Does your dad know you're here?" Liam asks, still glaring at Zayn even though Louis had made it clear there would be no fighting. Louis elbows Liam in the ribs, glaring at him before looking at Zayn.

"Maybe we should do this a different time."

"Louis..."

"No, if you guys can't f ucking act like adults I don't need you around my kids. You're not exactly showing me that you've changed, Zayn." Louis points out, ignoring the fact that Liam lets out a snort.

"He hasn't changed." Liam says, shaking his head as he speaks. Louis glares at Liam again, letting him know that his comment was not appreciated. Zayn doesn't acknowledge what Liam said, his entire attention focused on trying to convince Louis to let him stay. He was literally so close, he could hear the twins giggling in just the other room... He wasn't going to let Louis push him away again... He wasn't going to miss out on the chance of having his family.

Even if Liam was a pain in his ass.

"Please Lou... You promised me a chance." Zayn says quietly, looking at Louis sadly and somewhat hopefully. Louis sighs, wondering why this was so goddamn difficult. Why couldn't Liam and Zayn get along? What had Zayn done to Liam?

Why did Liam hate Zayn?

"I know... I know..." Louis says back, nodding before looking at Liam again. Liam arches an eyebrow, a little curious as to why Louis was turning his attention towards him. Liam had just spoken his mind, let Louis know the truth. Zayn was still the selfish dick and he knew how to put on one hell of a show.

"You're seriously asking me to leave?" Liam says, surprised that Louis was kicking him out and not Zayn.

"You were leaving anyways."

"You're making a mistake, Lou. He's a f ucking dick."

"All he's doing here is meeting his sons. That is all I am allowing and he knows that. You can come back in a few hours like you said you would. You still have a shit ton of explaining to do." Louis whispers the last part so only Liam and him could hear, earning a small nod from Liam before he walked out of the house. Zayn watches him leave, a small sense of victory coming over him as the door closes behind Liam. Zayn turns his attention back to Louis, a soft smile on his face as he goes to thank Louis for not sending him away as well.

"Th-" Zayn started only to have Louis interrupt him.

"Don't thank me. I'm not doing this for you. I'm doing this for my sons. They deserve a chance to know their father, but if you mess this up Zayn... I won't be giving you another chance." Louis says honestly, earning a small nod from Zayn. Zayn knew better than to argue.

"The boys are in the kitchen..." Louis whispers after that, already walking towards the kitchen with Zayn close behind him. Harry was having issues keeping the boys entertained, well more like Nathan entertained. The young baby was having a little too much fun pulling at Harry's hair, a habit Harry could only pray would go away the older he got. Ethan was just watching his brother though, which Harry was grateful for.

"Dammit Nathan, stop pulling my hair. It hurts." Harry whines the second Louis and Zayn walk in. Louis smiles fondly at his son, shaking his head a little before taking him from Harry. Ethan was sitting contently in Harry's arms now, giving Louis a gummy smile when he sees him. Zayn just stands in the doorway, feeling a little overwhelmed by the fact that he was finally seeing his sons.

They were right there in front of him...

But Zayn still felt miles away.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The twins are so cute.

I cry.

Anyways... I'm going to do a character ask. I think it's about time we do one? So here's the list of characters you can ask questions haha.

Zayn

Liam

Louis

Harry

Niall

and me (even though I'm not a character lol)

So yeah!

Dedication goes to niallersgirl139

My fave comment gets the dedication lol.

QOTC: Why do you guys think Zayn and Liam don't get along?

Comment

and

Vote

Connie xx