twenty-seven: year two

March

"You got Ethan?" Louis asks, looking over his shoulder as he picks up Nathan from the small cart he was sleeping in. They had finally gotten the okay to take the twins home and Louis was more than ready to leave. He missed being able to sleep in his own bed.

"I've got him. Your mum should be bringing the car around." Harry says, adjusting the diaper bag he had on his shoulder. Ethan let out a small noise of distress at Harry's movements and the young man was quick to soothe the baby. Together Louis and Harry walked to the underground parking garage where Louis' mum waited for them. She helped the two boys strap the twins into their car seats and Louis climbed into the back with them. The twins slept the entire drive back home, only waking up when Johanna arrived at the house. With some help from Harry, Louis got the twins out of their car seats. Together the two boys and Louis' mum walked to the front door. Louis kissed the top of Nathan's head before doing the same to Ethan once they were inside.

"Welcome home babies."

----------------------------

April

"Zayn, will you just give it a rest? If he wanted you to find him, he'd tell you where he f ucking is." Liam says, glaring at his step brother as the older glares back. They have this conversation nearly everyday, but that didn't stop Zayn from asking Liam anyways. He didn't care if Louis didn't want to be found, all Zayn cared about was the fact that no one wanted Zayn to know.

"Why won't you just tell me where he is, Liam? Those are my kids and you're helping him keep them away from me." Zayn says bitterly, getting ready to punch Liam at any second. He was so done with all the secrets and the lies. He just wanted to know where Louis and the twins were.

"Because he doesn't want you to f ucking know, Zayn. You don't deserve to know either, so why don't you do everyone a favor and stop looking. You're not going to find him."

"They're my kids."

"You sure didn't seem to think so the last time you talked to him."

"You don't know what I thought, Liam."

"I know you enough to know you were a f ucking tool." Next thing Liam knew, he was against the wall with Zayn's hand gripping his shirt. Zayn's face was dangerously close to Liam's, making the younger boy very uncomfortable.

"You know nothing."

------------------------------

May

"Where's the baby? There he is!" Harry cooed down at Nathan as Louis fed Ethan. The two boys were sitting in the front room with the twins, enjoying a nice quiet Sunday. Nathan was staring at Harry like he'd lost his mind, an expression that Louis knew he'd gotten from him.

"Where's the baby? There he is!" Harry coos again, playing with Nathan's feet before letting out a quiet gasp.

"What?" Louis asks, craning his neck in hopes of catching what had taken Harry so off guard.

"He's smiling, like an actual smile." Harry says, looking at Louis with wide eyes. Louis moves from his spot on the couch before cooing down at Nathan too. Ethan little whine when Louis took his attention away from him, earning a chuckle from Louis before he went back to feeding Ethan.

His boys were a handful, but he loved them both dearly.

---------------------------

June

"Have you found him yet? I'm not paying you just for the hell of it." Zayn grumbles over the phone, typing away angrily on his computer as he talks to the private investigator he'd hired to find Louis.