The truth of this lie

"Back in town again?" Damon asked with a sigh and I nodded, adjusting my dress for the prom. "You've been  coming and going for a while. Having problems with Klaus?" He asked and I closed my eyes. 

"Please don't say his name." I said quietly and dabbed mascara onto my eyelashes and then applying lip stain to my lips. 

"What'd he do this time?" He asked quietly and Damon no longer sounded so teasing, as he noticed the tone of my voice. The relationship between Damon and I was a weird one. We were closer than Elena or Caroline or Bonnie and I and even closer than Stefan and me. I would've been considered his new drinking buddy had I not been around while Alaric was still here. No, Damon and I were buddies, partners in crime. 

"He slept with that wolf girl, Hayley." I said dismissively, playing it off like it was nothing despite the quiver of my voice. 

"Dick move." He said wtih a whistle. "Even worse than I've ever done. He does know you could kill him within seconds right?" He asked and I put diamond earrings in my ears as I turned to face him. 

"Yes, Damon, he knows that. He also knows that I love him and that I could never kill him. Besides, he doesn't even know I know. And you won't be telling anyone." I said sternly and he rolled his eyes. 

"Would I do that?" He asked and then frowned. "Don't answer that." He said quickly and I laughed sadly under my breath and turned too him. 

"Don't pretend to be such a jerk all the time, it's gets annoying, especially when I know who you truly are. How's Elena?" I asked, eager to change the subject.

"Still evil. She's worse than Katherine without her humanity off." He grumbled and I smirked a little at that and grabbed my heels and sat down to put them on. 

"Elena's got a heart of gold, which makes her devil self dangerous. As good as you are, you are as evil as that." I explained, finishing up with my shoes and turning to fix up my hair once again to make sure the blonde curls stayed in place. 

"Figures." He muttered and tossed me my diamond necklace to go with my dress and I placed it around my neck. I did a little spin. 

"How do I look?" I asked and he nodded.

"Sexy as always, Arielle." He responded with a sigh and I couldn't help but grin and slap his shoulder. 

"Wait, I thought you were the sexy one?" I asked and he shook his head, rolling his eyes.

"No, I'm the sinfully gorgeous one." He reminded me and I made an 'ahh' sound. 

"Right, silly me, I remember now." I said dryly and I grabbed my purse, but before I could walk out of the room, Damon grabbed my arm, giving me a serious expression that screamed worry. 

"Are you sure you're alright?" He asked quietly and I nodded, managing a small smile and I shrugged.

"No, I don't think I am. I love him. I hate that I love him, but I do and I can't change that fact. It's strange too, I'd always had my guard up around people like him, but he broke through those barriers. I thought maybe it was because he loved me, but maybe it was simply because he needed someone to make him feel not so alone. I think I made him feel like that, but I feel I'm giving him all of my happiness, Damon. The more I give too him, the lonlier I feel and the sad thing Is, is I don't want to stop." I whispered, the stinging burn of tears as I choked them down my throat. 

"And that's the truth of this lie." I said, so quiet it was barely a noise heard in the air. I took in a deep breath of air and took all sadness off my face. "Come on, we have a prom to get too and people to protect." I told him and he didn't push the subject any further and along with Stefan we hurried to get  to Elena. 

"Nice dress." Damon complimented and she smirked. 

"Thanks." She said. "I stole it." She finished and I rolled my eyes. 

"Where's Rebekah?" I asked and she smirked dryly at me. 

"Welcome back to town, Ari, finally done sulking about Klaus or are you still going on about that guy?" She asked and I ground my teeth. 

"Elena, I may not kill you, but I could leave you a limb lesser than you originally were." I threatened with a sugary sweet smile and she decided it was time to stand on the other side of Damon as we continued on to the dance. At least she still had the right state of mind to be scared of me. At the dance I abandoned Elena, Damon, And Stefan and went to find Bonnie, who I had a feeling was in big need of my help. She didn't hesitate to grab my arm and lead me backstage to speak with me.

"Where have you been? I've needed you! Silas, he's...he's in my head!" She said, half way to hysterical with only four more miles to go but I just patted her shoulder with a sad smile.

"I'm not you, Bonnie, you created this mess and you have to fix it. I'll help you as much as I can but this is your job. Inform me when you meet Silas, I might be able to help you with him." I told her and she nodded shakily. "You're out of my reach now that you use expression, Bonnie. I may have created the magic but even I do not control it. You can only save yourself now." I told her and then walked back out into the dance. I chatted and made small talk with Caroline, Matt, and Damon. I saw Rebekah walk over, drink in hand. 

"I heard you're trying to be normal for a day to get the cure." I said quietly and she nodded. "I understand why you want it, Bekah, in truth I'd probably love to have the cure too but we don't always get what we want. I need the cure and I intend to get it from Elijah to cram it down Silas' throat." I told her quietly and she nodded.

"I understand and I hope you understand when I take the cure to be human once more." She replied and I nodded. 

"No hard feelings?" I asked and she smiled dryly. 

"I'll keep you to your word." She warned and I smiled back and nodded. 

"It's a deal then." I told her and she left to go talk with Matt and see if he would dance with her and I sat down, bored and alone. I thought this might've cheered me up a bit but it had only managed to make me feel worse. The only thing I can do is leave and get to work I suppose. I sighed and stood up. I suppose being the vampire witch doesn't come with holidays. I stepped out of the dance only to come face to face with Stefan, otherwise known as Silas. I coudln't even manage a haughty look at this point. 

"You look defeated." He observed and my shoulders slumped. 

"Not defeated...just tired. I wish I could sleep." I said quietly, continueing past him but he stopped me, holding out a gold bracelet I briefly remembered as being from Professor Shane's office. 

"If you do not help me Arielle, this will become your prison." He warned and I yanked my arm from his grasp, glaring at him but it was only half-hearted.

"Go to hell." I hissed and then ran off. I didn't feel like fighting today. I ended up at Klaus' mansion and why my legs brought me here I didn't know, but I was too tired to go anywhere else. Besides, I felt like drowning in my own self pity and depression right here in his house. So I laid down on the couch, closed my eyes, and went to sleep. 

Let's hope I never wake up.