Chapter Twelve Markings

Silence filled my ears as I woke up from what seemed to be a sleep that lasted for years. My body felt totally drained and powerless. Slowly I opened up my eyes to find a bed under me. I gripped the white sheets in my hands and yawned. My head throbbed and I sat up to find my friends waiting up with blank expressions. Drew and Jonah were in tank tops and short shorts, and their glares went from me to the ceiling. Micah and Pharaoh were shirtless and sat on the bed staring over at me; no hesitation what’s so ever.

       “What’s wrong you guys?” I asked running my hand through my Mohawk. Drew pulled her legs into her chest and her head went between her knees. “We got our markings.” Micah began. “That’s why we were in so much pain?” I asked noticing the itchy throbbing sensation on my arm and back, but not paying any attention. Jonah nodded. My face grew grey now. “Where’s Marcus?” I asked. Micah pointed and I turned to the back of me to find him asleep. He must have been worn out from last night. “We got our markings Ghost, but yours…” Pharaoh stopped suddenly. “What about mines?” I asked.

       I got up slowly off of the bed, and made my way over to the standing mirror and my eyes were bulging out of their sockets. My right arm was covered with this terrifying design and I turned around taking off my shirt and looking over my shoulder in the mirror shrieking at the overwhelming sight of the marking covering my back. “Please tell me I’m not the only one with this?” I asked. Jonah looked away, and they each stood up. Micah and Pharaohs were on their right upper arm like mines and the same. But Jonah and Drew’s were on the left. “Pharaoh why is mines like this?” I asked. “Ours are different because we’re male and female but your significant tainted power other isn’t dead yet so I’m guessing that’s why it’s so overwhelming.” He answered.

       “I look like a freak!” I practically yelled. I stared at the top of my hand where the marking wrapped around my fingers feeling tears well in my eyes. Marcus was getting up now and he stared at each of us, and his eyes widened at what he stared at when he now looked at me. I felt my demeanor go small as his stare analyzed my body. My eyes must have been fooling me now, because I swore I saw him bite his lip. I ignored it, and then froze time grabbing a pair of pants from one of the bags, and then put back on the shirt and left the room releasing them from my hold.

       I stood in a garden way that was surrounded by rooms before I noticed the exit. “Ghost, don’t do this.” I heard Marcus say from the back of me. I shrugged at him and then took off. The sun beat down on me as I ran across the sand trying to get as far away as possible from the resort that I realized we were staying at. I panted and felt my face sweat bullets, and I choked on sobs as I now coughed out tears.

       I felt the air going dense around me and I shook my head from side to side uncontrollably feeling the density in the air dissolve. “I can’t let it control me.” I said to myself. “I’m glad you’re coming to that realization.” The voice said from the back of me. Marcus wrapped his arms around my waist and I cried into his chest. “There is nothing wrong with your marking.” He said. My hand flattened against his chest and I felt him quiver under my touch. “You don’t know how it feels knowing that it’s very embarrassingly noticeable.” I replied. He sucked his teeth and rubbed my head playfully. “Please get over yourself Ghost.” He said.

       “What do you mean?” I asked. I pulled out of his hold and he reached back out for me but I smacked his hand away. “What do you mean?” I asked again. “Don’t get too worked up about this whole thing being about you.” He answered. I furrowed my eyebrows at what he said. “You’re saying I’m being selfish?” I asked. He coughed a bit and looked away from me. I scrunched my face angrily at him and used my telekinesis to send him flying away from me on his back, and slowly I walked up to him. “Ghost I was just implying.” He protested. I used my powers to send sand rushing at his feet, and he stammered back on his elbows.