Chapter 13: Beep... Beep...

Beep… Beep…

Lavander was lying on a sofa over a man’s lap where she laid her head still heavy from the massive migraine she just received. She stood up and squinted her eyes two times. Her blanket fell of the floor as it slid down to her body when she stood up. It was cold in the room and the thin t-shirt she had on wasn’t helping. Somebody might have changed her clothes but she didn’t care anymore, she remembered that Bryce changed her clothes during her first blackout.

Bryce. She thought of his name and remembered he wasn’t still safe. It’s been five days since he was abducted, close to a week and still they had no leads. Lavander was more worried that he may be tortured or worse killed, but Lavander remembered the prophecy he once foretold that she will see him die, it was a frightening and yet promising that there was a chance that she would still see her brother alive.

Beep… Beep…

“Devin?” Lavander confusingly asked as her eyes finally adjusted. His eyes were the first thing she noticed, the blue that looked like the bright sky made her squint her eyes even more, they were somehow brighter and attracting.

“Hey,” he weakly said with a faint smile that came with it. He was obviously tired and sad. His hair no longer waxed to the tip, it lay flat on his head that suit him even more.

“How long was I out?” Lavander asked as she sat down beside him. She yawned for a moment and examined her hands, they were clean but rough spots of blood were still lingering in her fingers.  

“About twelve, twelve and half,” he said while yawning. He’s eyes where near to shutting as he talked, he kept them open for only a short period of time.

“Aww,” she cried as she held her hands into her forehead.

“Something wrong?” Devin asked.

Lavander massaged her head gently. “Just a little headache, that’s all.” She smiled reassuring that it was bearable.

Beep… Beep…

She heard a beeping sound on the background, it was one of the first things she heard when she woke up but it never entered her brain. They were inside a hospital room but there were curtains in the center of the room hiding the patient behind it.

Lavander slowly walked towards the curtain afraid to look behind it. Why am I afraid? She asked herself. Slowly her feet stepped one after the other while she raised her hands and touched the light green fabric used as a curtain.

Beep… Beep…

Her heart was racing inside her chest, with one big grip and pull, her heart sunk when she finally saw the man who was fully bandaged from his neck to toe on the bed. He didn’t move when the curtains made sound, he didn’t move when he heard his name: “Enzo,” Lavander faintly said. Her fingers trembled as they found their way into his palms. It was soft and cold, very cold.

Beep… Beep…

“Enzo,” she said again, there was no response from him.

Devin came in with a chair on his hand. “Sit,” he said which Lavander did, not letting go of Enzo’s hands. She stared at him with so much agony, fourteen hours ago, he proclaimed his love for her and she accepted but after that, Agnus happened to their lives.

“The doctor said he’s brain is fully functioning but his body is temporarily paralyzed with all the hits he had taken and the bullet that was shot on him. It was a good thing you got here early, it was only a matter of minutes or he’s a goner,” Lavander had a hard time listening to what Devin had to say. “You can talk to him, just don’t cry in front of him or else he’ll be stressed out.” Devin patted her back and smiled, “he’s going to be okay.” He turned his back knowing what a big lie he had to say about Enzo being okay, but he had to give her good news or else Lavander may give negative vibes and Enzo’s life will be cut shorter than what was already given.