Chapter 6: Hummers

Chapter 6: Hummers

Lavander and the rest of the gang headed straight for the cars. Lavander was impressed that the old cars were replaced by two very bad ass Hummers. One was yellow while the other was black. Lavander insisted on driving the yellow one but Devin didn’t allow it since she might break it. They were Charleston’s property so he thought it might be best to bring it back in the best possible condition.

Athena, Lavander and Devin grouped together by the yellow Hummer while Charleston, Enzo, Trevor and Sal were in the black Hummer. Lavander felt quite relieved that Enzo wasn’t on the same vehicle that she was in. Everything was still awkward between the two of them and it had been hard to hide it with the rest of the gang.

Lavander sat by the passenger seat and stared outside her window. It was a bright and shiny afternoon but the heavily tinted windows prevented any sunlight to be enjoyed. It was cold and silent inside the car which none of the minded.

Devin started driving behind the black Hummer. The ride was smooth and sweet, Lavander never expected to sit on such fancy leather. She knew she wasn’t supposed to engulf herself with such man made luxury but she gave herself just this once to do so.

Athena didn’t look as ecstatic as she was when Lavander first saw her. Even back at the hospital she was preoccupied about something. She managed the occasional smile but something was really bothering her.

“Something wrong?” Lavander asked, Athena looked over Lavander and gave her a smile.

“What do you mean something’s wrong?” Athena responded, her poker face was hard to get through. She returned to her normal position and ignored Lavander. Devin stared at the rear view mirror looking at Lavander, he seemed to have the same guess about Athena.

“Something is definitely wrong with you,” Lavander said. She sat there waiting for a response that she may not get. She tapped Athena’s shoulder in hope to get a reply.  

Athena sighed and fixed her shirt first.”I’m just worried about my life, that’s all.” Athena said. She looked at her nails and started to change their colors trying to avoid conversation. Lavander and Devin let her be and gave her some privacy.

Lavander had to think about what Athena just said. She was worried about her life too. Bryce’s prediction was very unnerving. Lavander looked at the car in front of them, she wondered who would go first in all of them but that was just selfish thinking, she didn’t want anybody to go before her.

Manhattan was a long drive, it took them 5 hours just to get there and its promises didn’t disappoint them.  A city that never sleeps has a lot in store for them, the city lights and yellow cabs. Lavander was really impressed, it was her first time at the Big Apple and it felt great already. The busy people and the hotdog stands were very bizarre for small town girl.

In the head of Lavander though all she thought of was Bryce and how was he doing or if her dream ever made sense. Here she was in the Big Apple and the thought of her saving his brother was all too real. She had to take a step back though, she knew that New York was just a lead and nothing was yet final.

“So what’s the plan,” Lavander said, “do they have a secret hideout or something?’ Lavander continued, she rolled her windows down to get a better view of the city. The heavily tinted glass took away the fun of the scenery.

“We have to regroup first, find a place to say then we’ll form a plan,” Devin said. They kept on following Charleston’s car until they found a hotel to stay in, usually they would prefer a motel but Charleston insisted and that he’ll pay.

The hotel was very dashing but the Purples hurried to their room to even care about the intricate architecture. They ordered a single suite, a presidential suite that is. Lavander dived in the bed and just stretched her back. The leather back in the Hummer might felt great but it wasn’t comfortable to sleep in just like any other car seat.