Chapter 9: Time Stopped, Literally

“No!” Devin screamed out and leaned on the sofa. “Who lose in the first round? Like seriously, who?” He said as he imitated a sports fan complaining about a foul that wasn’t supposed to be accused.

“Relax, it’s just a game,” Lavander sat in between Charleston and Devin bringing with her some popcorn that she prepared. Devin took a lot in his hands and started munching them down five at a time. Charleston was more civilized or just shy, he took one at a time and only after Lavander already had two.

“I bet you can’t pass that round,” Lavander wondered out loud. She giggled and half-smiled at Devin. He was just happy that Lavander seemed to be happy since Bryce’s kidnap; she was still sad and mourning inside but she knew that the best they could do is regroup and think of a plan.

Devin rolled his eyes. “And the lady who always gets hit first in dodge ball gets to talk.” Devin teased. He took another handful of popcorn and shoved it his mouth.

“I bet I can win the whole thing with my eyes close, like literally.” Lavander boasted.

“Without any abilities,” Devin questioned her claim. Lavander wasn’t able to give a proper response while Devin was there taunting her to say something more clever.

“Burn!” Charleston said and chuckled. He changed the channel once the commercial started, he turned it to midnight news looking for something strange going on the area. A bank robbery that happened in broad daylight was alerting but not strange enough for them to spring up in action though it was a crime that could use help.

“Don’t you think that it’s weird that Athena and Trevor aren’t back yet,” Enzo noted. He stood by the balcony overlooking the lights of the city that never sleeps. He walked away from all of it and joined the rest of the gang while they watched TV. They were all cramped up in one small sofa.

“And Sal too with our dinner,” Devin complained as he shoved another handful of popcorn into his mouth.

“She’s with Trevor, what could possibly go wrong. She must be stuck somewhere in a store looking for the next designer clothes she could morphed into,” Lavander suggested then they laughed for a moment then suddenly stopped. All of them looked at each other with the same worried look. They stood up, took their jackets and sprinted to the elevator locking the door behind them.

“We’re so stupid,” Lavander said and pressed the ground floor button. She produced a pair of red gloves from her pocket and put them on; she rubbed her hands cold hands together and blew on them.

“Athena may be unconscious by now, Trevor could really be unpredictable. I hope Sal was with them.” Enzo said as they took off from the elevator, the streets were crowded with people that made it harder for them to search for Athena and Trevor.

“Lavander and Enzo you go together and look for her near any ramen store, Devin and I will search the grocery stores, keep an eye with Sal as well. I’ll be dropping my clones quietly so they could come with you and we could all communicate.” Charleston recommended and they all went into their separate directions.

From Japanese restaurants to convenient stores, there were no traces of Athena and Trevor anywhere, not even Sal. They tried asking people if they saw a red haired girl with a boy in dread locks but the people of New York wasn’t as friendly and helpful as hoped would be.

Charleston’s clone was nowhere to be found even though he said he’d send them, it had been an hour and there was still no luck. They’ve walked exactly 15 blocks away from their hotel and both of them were exhausted. They decided it was time that they take a break and sit down by a nearby bench.