Chapter 94: Alexander

A tug at my arm caught my arm and I turned just in time to see Shanae and Isabella stealing Ariella away, disappearing into the crowd of people dancing and talking to the lively music. The celebration was one that no one would forget any time soon and one that I would never want to.

"So, they kidnapped Ariella?" Thomas's voice sounded behind me and I turned to see the man grinning cockily at me as he stepped closer. "Why do I have a feeling that, even though you're going to be married, they're going to be the ones who see her the most?"

"Because that's probably what's going to happen." I admitted as the two of us laughed, knowing that the next many years were going to be very entertaining. I knew that her friends loved her and that they had a lot of things they wanted to do and talk to. I knew full well that Ariella wasn't done growing, none of us were, I was just glad that she was allowing me to continue being a part of that.

"I'm glad she has some good friends, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm going to miss her living with us." He sighed sightly, his hand rising and rubbing the back of his neck nervously.

"Well, we're only two floors up so, if you need her, you know where to find her."

"It's not the same." Thomas chuckled and then shrugged. "I'm going to admit, it's going to suck having to go back to eat my mother's food."

I shook my head, laughing to myself, contemplating to tell him what Ariella had already told me. The fact that she still planned on making dinner for all of us, every day, so that her family can still eat healthy and she still gets to spend time with them. Thomas stood next to me, his face changing into an awkward smile, staring ahead of him. My eyes followed his gaze and I turned to see King Stephen walking towards us, fighting his way through the mass of people. So the rumor was true. Then again, I knew it was since I heard it from Captain Mathews, but I couldn't believe that Thomas had not given his answer yet. It was a great honor, one that I knew he was worthy of.

"Ah, Alexander, I've been looking for you." King Stephen stated as he walked forward, his left hand clapping me on the shoulder as he gave me a supporting smile. "Madam Lillian wanted me to give you the keys to your new home. She stated that she forgot to give them to Lady Ariella and asked if I could find one of you."

"Thank you." I told him, taking the two silver keys that he offered and slipping them into my pocket. The keys were merely a formality, in the Healer's Tower, there was no reason to lock your doors unless you were sleeping. It was foolish to attempt to do harm to anyone in the tower, and only the largest fools would even consider it.

"Of course, my boy. Of course." King Stephen chuckled and then turned to Thomas. "Having fun, eh? That's good, that's very good. I'm still waiting for your answer." He nodded once to him and then again to me. "Well, you two take care and enjoy the celebration." He clapped me on the shoulder once more before turning and disappearing into the crowd.

Silence developed between the two of us as he slowly began to relax, breathing somewhat deeply with his eyes half closed. Fighting back a grin, I turned to him, contemplating at what he was thinking about the situation he was in.

"You know, I always found it interesting that the king has to choose the next heir similar to the ways that the Captains have to chose their apprentice." I told him and he nodded, smiling sheepishly as he stood tall and sighed.

"It's the way to make sure some power hungry son doesn't take over the thrown." Thomas turned to me, uncertainty dancing in his eyes once more. "Though, sometimes you can't help but question their logic."

"If it was a normal person, then I would be worried too."

"Are you saying King Stephen isn't normal?" Thomas demanded.

"Not in the slightest." I shrugged and then smiled at him. "I'm sure he knows exactly what the city needs in a king. And I really believe you will do a great job."

He tensed, much like I expected him to, as he turned and stared at me. "You know?" He demanded and sighed when I nodded. "Father told you, I'm sure."

"Not that surprising, is it?" I questioned and he shook his head. "So why haven't you said yes?"

"I mean, I want to. And not because I want the power and all that." Thomas shrugged and then rubbed the back of his neck. "It sounds stupid, really. After all these years of not caring, I finally do." I stood silently, waiting, knowing he would say it when he was ready. What was bothering him. Maybe it would sound stupid, but sometimes the stupid things is what really gets us. "Just, tell me this, Alexander. Would you be willing to follow a son of a traitor? A traitor that was responsible for hundreds of deaths? His son as a king?"

So that's what it was. Everyone knew about his father, his father who killed his wife, abused his son, and gave the City's secrets to the Hunters. His act cost hundreds of lives and only his was taken in payment. There were some people who believed that Thomas would grow to be like his father. And, I agreed. But I didn't see his father as the traitor. His father was my mentor, the one who took me under his wing, who allowed me to marry his youngest child. That was the man who raised Thomas and that's why Thomas was destined to be a great king. Not that I could tell him that, at least, not in so many words. Where'd the fun be in that?

"Well, my question for you is are you willing to have a streetwalker be a Captain?" I questioned, studying him with amusement as he glared at me.

"That's different."

"How?" I demanded and stared at him as he shrugged. "Neither of us chose what families we were given, who are parents were, or the lives the lived. We were both held responsible for them. The only difference is you needed and got a second chance, a family that helped you. Only idiots will continue thinking that man is your father. Anyone who matters knows that Captain Mathews is your father. And, personally, if I can be a Captain, you can be the king. We'll work together to keep our home safe."

"Not sure if you should say that." He grinned slightly as he turned to me. "If I become king, you have to deal with me, all day, every day."

"Well, I have to deal with you one way or another." I shrugged and he laughed, stepping forward and clapping my shoulder.

"Thanks." Thomas said and then smiled. "But, the rules still stand, you hurt my sister and I will kill you." His hand clapped my shoulder again before darting off in the direction that the king went.

I sighed slightly, shaking my head as I remembered a similar warning from Captain Mathews as he gave me his daughter's hand. It'd be a miracle if one of those two didn't kill me by tomorrow. I turned around, my hand risen to my head, pinching the tip of my nose when a person ran into me. I glanced down at Ariella and saw her smiling up at me.

"Alex?" My name left her lips as she stared up at me, hope filling her eyes.

"Yes?" I asked, sliding my hands on her shoulders.

"Can we dance?"

"Hm." I leaned forward, my fingers sliding under her chin as I pressed my lips against hers. "Come on." I told her as I led her towards the dance floor, my hand grasping hers firmly, hoping that I'd never have to let go.