Chapter 55: Ariella

Chapter 55 Ariella

What had happened between the two of them? What could have caused them to be so cold to each other? To have Alex, a man so sweet and caring, to be so cold and rude? It didn't make sense, none of it did. This was my chance to figure it out, to figure out what had occurred between the two of them.

A small yip came from below and my eyes drifted to the small white dog who pattered next to me, his tail wagging wildly. Pika's head shifted towards me, his mouth open slightly as he panted quietly. I knew that I was supposed to go alone, but I hoped that Pika would easily be an exception.

My arms wrapped around my stomach, holding myself in the slight comfort as I slowly made my way towards the square with Pika at my heels. I was well aware that Alexander would be furious when he wakes up and realizes that I wasn't there. He would quickly realize where I had gone and come to find me. I could only hope that I would have my answers before then.

Her red hair stood out from the others around her, the sunlight glinting off of it provided a fiery tint to it. Her dark green eyes turned to study me, a slight look of surprise tainted her face.

"I'm surprised you came." Alyse stepped forward, her eyes studying me as she motioned for me to follow. "Come, we'll go somewhere we won't be disturbed." Her hair fluttered around her as she turned.

Taking a deep breath and clenching my fists, I held my ground. "No. I need to know something, right now."

"Can't it wait, Ariella Mathews?" She sighed, annoyance flashing across her face as she turned to face me.

"No." I swallowed nervously, fear flowing throughout my body as I stared into her green eyes. "Alexander doesn't like nor trust you. I need to know why."

"What happened between him and me is none of your business." Her nose scrunched in disgust as the low, threatening words filled her voice.

"Yes it is." I straightened myself, squaring my shoulders as I attempted to appear braver than I felt. "I trust Alexander, I trust what he has to say and what he thinks. I-"

"If you trust him so much, then why are you here, Ariella Mathews?" Alyse demanded, her eyes glinted dangerously.

"Because he brought me to you for a reason, I just don't understand why. Why would he bring me to you if he didn't trust you?" I all but shouted, my fists clenched beside me.

"Because he thinks I can help you, apparently." She shrugged before turning around. "Are you coming or no?"

"What could have happened to the two of you to make you so rude to each other?" I stepped closer, my hands clenched above my heart.

"Anger." She turned to me, depression danced in her eyes as she studied me. "Anger and blame. Now come." Alyse turned on her heel, and stalked away. I stared at her from behind, confusion rolling around inside me. My eyes shifted down towards Pika, who looked up at me, before I sighed and followed the girl to wherever she wanted to take me.

***********************************************************************************************

"I've been here before." I whispered to myself, as my gaze drifted over the overgrown garden, chipped and weed-possessed fountain, and the flower claimed benches.

"The ancient Healer garden. It's been abandoned for generations, its beauty and purpose was lost years ago. Some believed that the Power of Healing was lost when the garden lost its beauty." Alyse sighed as she stepped next to me. "It was nothing more than a childish belief, one that none attempted to fix. Instead, they had accepted the hopelessness and gave up on the Healers of Water."