Chapter 82: Ariella

Chapter 82 Ariella

"It must be exciting for you, child." Nimiane told me as she floated over, a gentle smile on her lips. Her eyes were gentle as she stared happily at me, giving me the feeling that she had already known about what had happened and that she approved. "To be engaged with one such as the man you are with is a blessing." Her eyes turned away and glanced up towards the ceiling.

"A blessing?" I questioned and she nodded.

"A man who not only loves you but trusts you as much as you trust him." She sighed softly. "It was rare to find a man like that. Back in my day, men believed they were better than the female fighters and thought they could control them. Not that it worked well for them."

"So what happened? What changed their minds?"

"Simple." Nimiane beamed with pride. "The woman who was in charge of the Warriors stepped forward and challenged the Captain of the Protectors. He thought he would beat her without a problem. That cockiness ended with his loss."

I giggled softly before glancing down and studying the small silver ring on my finger. The light glinted off it as I leaned forward and grasped onto one of the books in front of me.

"All that matters is that we now live in a world where men and women are able to fight beside each other without the discrimination." Nimiane's voice sounded softly and I glanced up in time to see her finish a small shrug. "On the other hand, young one. There's a lot that we must do to prepare you for your marriage."

"What do you mean?"

"Simple." She floated closer as the gentle smile returned to her lips. "A Healer's marriage is a special one, especially in this day and age. The possibility of another Healer will increase dramatically."

"How's a Healer's wedding special? Is it different than a regular wedding?"

"Yes and no." Nimiane sighed as she bent down next to me, her body close to mine. The water visibly swirled around inside of her as her hand slid into mine, the coolness contrasted the warmth. "As you are fully aware, a Healer cannot fight. They cannot wield a weapon of any kind. When two fighters married, there is a part where they swear to protect each other and fight by each other's side. But you cannot swear that."

"So what do I say?" I questioned as my eyes fell to the books in front of me.

"Alexander will promise to protect and fight for you, as well as the other normal promises. However, you will promise that you will tend to his injuries and listen to him when it concerns combat." Nimiane glanced over at me before turning back to the books in front of us. "A woman who fights should not stand in the back ground unless she's with a child, but a Healer must stay back no matter what so that they will not be harmed. Their roles to their husbands are different just as husband's role is different to his wife."

"Alex doesn't mind that I can't fight." I told her, my voice soft as I stared down at my hands.

"Good. Because nothing can change that." Nimiane smiled brightly as her hand brushed against my cheek. "By accepting that you cannot fight, he has accepted you as you are which shows he really knows you."

"I know." I smiled softly as I thought about him, about the proposal, and how he had told me that he didn't care if I was fighter or a Healer. That he just loved me for me.

"There's a couple books I would like you to take with you, Ariella. Books that will help to prepare for your wedding and may even give you ideas." Nimiane smiled as she patted my cheek before lifting herself off the ground. She slid over to the shelves and pulled out a few books of different sizes. The leather bindings on all of them were worn out and brittle, ready to break if one were to rush through them. "These books were our collections of wedding cakes and dresses, ideas to plan a wedding, and even provide ideas for the vows that a man and woman must take. I hope that these will help you, Ariella."