Chapter 66: Ariella

Chapter 66: Ariella

My fingers twirled around each other, following in a never-ending circle.Sobs filled the rooms as family and friends cried over their lost loved ones. Those that could be saved were directed to me and I'd Heal them. All of them. The handful I couldn't help would die and there was noting I could do about it.

"Lady Ariella!" A woman shouted and my eyes lifted as I watched two people run up to me, a small child in the man's arms. "Please, the Hunters stabbed him. Please."

I gave her a soft smile as I stepped forward, my hand pressing against the child's cheek. His skin was pale and his shoulders rose and fell quickly as he panted for breath. The Power shot through me as I called on it, slipping from my fingers and down towards the wound in the stomach. The boy was no more than twelve and yet he had already encountered death's door.

"It's working." The man let out a small breath of relief as the boys breath slowed and steadied, his head falling towards the elder man's chest.

"He's lost a lot of blood so he needs to stay over night." I told them gently and they nodded, the man clinging onto the boy.

"Thank you, my lady. Thank you." The woman told me once more, her hands clasped in front of her chest before following another girl towards a spare bed.

"Well you handled that well." A weak voice sounded behind me, a slight bit of laughter in his voice. My fingers curled slightly as I turned and stared at Alexander, his weak smile as bright as it could be as he stared up at me. "Are you hurt?" He questioned, his hand reaching out and brushing against the back of my hand, his eyes studying me.

"Me? You're the one who got shot with an arrow and you're worried about me?" I stared down at him in disbelief, clenching my fists as I tried to stop tears from falling. How could he be so reckless and selfless? Why didn't he care that he could have died if I wasn't right there. If I didn't Heal him then, he might not be here today.

"Well, I did throw you, remember." He smiled sadly as he shoved himself up, grunting slightly before leaning against the wall, his gaze never leaving mine.

"And you could have gotten yourself killed!"

"I'd rather it be me than you."Alexander told me, the seriousness in his eyes showed he wasn't kidding.

"But I don't want to lose you. Don't you understand that?" Tears slid from my eyes as I stared at him, disbelief running in my veins. I couldn't lose him. I couldn't lose anyone, not now. Not ever. I didn't want to be alone again and I didn't want anyone to die because of me and, yet, he was always doing foolish things and it wasn't fair. Not to him or to me. I never asked for this. I never asked for him to sacrifice himself for me. Jerking my head to the side as I allowed my hair to fall over my face, to hide the tears that flowed endlessly, I realized how much I really needed him and my friends in my life.

"Ariella." His soft voice echoed in my ears and was followed by a small creaking noise and his all to familiar arms wrapping around my waist. "I know you don't want to lose me, but you have to understand, I don't want to lose you either." His arms tightened around my waist, his chin resting on the top of my head as I sobbed into his chest. My hands reached up and clung to the coarse fabric of his shirt, wrinkling it slightly. His shoulders shook sharply with a soft chuckle before pulling back, his fingers slipping underneath my chin and lifting my gaze to him. "I understand, Ariella, but if I didn't do everything I could do to protect you, I'd never forgive myself."

"But you can't protect me if you're dead." I whispered and he nodded, his thumb caressing my cheek, wiping the tears away as he stared down at me.

"How about this, I will promise you that I will do my best to protect you without getting hurt?"

"Only if you mean it." I pouted slightly and watched as the corners of his lips lift in amusement.

"I do." He told me before pulling my close again, holding me tightly next to him. My head rested against his chest as my eyes closed, allowing myself to just believe that it was the two of us.

"You idiot!" A feminine voice shouted, my head jerking back as I looked around and stared at a very irritated Shanae.

"And this the name-calling portion." Alexander grumbled, his voice was low and sounded exhausted.

"You're damn right, you stupid jerk!" She shouted as she bounded forward, her eyes glinting with anger. Alexander's arms slipped from my waist and stepped away, his hands lifting in the air in a sign of defeat. "Did you ever think that people would miss you if you got yourself killed? Or even that people would worry about you while you lay there unconscious?"

"Well, I'd like to think people-"

"You'd like to think? You'd like to think?" She shouted, her finger jamming into his chest. "That's your issue, isn't it? You don't think! Did you ever think how Ariella felt, sitting by your side for hours, Healing anyone she could? She should be resting after using that much Power, but no, she's stuck at your bedside because you stupidly got yourself shot!"

"Would you rather have her been shot?" He demanded, his eyes darkened with anger as he glared down at her, his fists clenching slightly.

"You could have just pulled her out of the way, you bloody idiot!" Shanae screamed as she jammed her finger into his chest once more. "But no, you decided you had to be the hero and get yourself shot!"

"Shanae." I whispered, stepping forward as my hand reached out towards her arm. "Please, can we not do this here?" My eyes glanced over to the other people, those in mourning and those waiting for their loved ones to wake up. They didn't need this, not right now. They needed a peaceful environment, some kind of comfort in this horrible moment.

"For you, I'll do as you wish." Shanae sighed, her arms crossing in front of her before glancing back at Alexander. "You, on the other hand, haven't heard the last out of me."

"That's fine by me." Alexander told her, his hand lifting up and encasing my wrist before stepping back to the bed and sitting down. "So what happened after I was shot. I don't remember much."

"The Captains and King Stephen caught James and was taking him into custody." Shanae began, annoyance flashed across her face. "Captain Hern was in charge of taking him down to the dungeon with two other men. Apparently, James started fighting and killed the two guards and Captain Hern killed the boy."

"That doesn't make any sense." Alexander muttered, his eyes dropped to the ground, moving side to side as if he was looking for a pattern on the ground. "Three against one, he knew he wouldn't stand a chance."

"He was probably desperate." Shanae shrugged once. "The only thing that matters is the traitor is dead and the lost ones have been avenged."

"How many killed?"

"No number yet, but the majority of non-fighters were small brunettes."

"Female?"

"Yes."

"But why would they go after brunettes?" I questioned as my eyes darted between the two of them, searching for some kind of answer.

"More than likely, they were looking for a specific brunette." Alexander told me, his arm slipping around my shoulders and he pulled me closely and held tight. "The issue is, that brunette was to well guarded."

"Could the expect anything less?" Shanae snorted as she leaned against the wall.

"Which brunette?"

"More than likely, the Hunters know about you and your ability." Alexander sighed, his hand giving mine a gentle squeeze. "It wouldn't be a surprise if they saw you as a threat and are now trying to kill you."

"Until we figure something out, Ariella, it might be best for you to not go anywhere alone." Shanae told me, offering a small, pitiful smile. "The sad thing is, I have this feeling that James was not working alone."

"Oh, I know he wasn't." Alexander's eyes shaded over, his face calmly stared up at Shanae, his grip tightening once more. "The question is, with him dead, how do we find who he's working with?"