Chapter 36: Ariella

Chapter 36 Ariella

With the aid of the pain reliever, I found myself working at a faster speed. Calida was always pushing me to learn, to do more with my Power, to be as fast as I can. Alexander and the others would often tell her to relax, to allow me to learn at my own pace. Though, I appreciated it, I had a lot to learn and very little time to do it.

Through the past week, I learned how to handle all sorts of fresh injuries. I've learned how to Heal cuts, burns, and rashes. I pushed myself as much as I could to learn, dedicated every second that I was able to so that I could master these steps. But now I'm past that. Now it was time for past injuries. The next step that I was to learn was how to remove scars. I read the passage more times than I care to admit but that didn't fix the issue that I had.

For a fighter, their scars are something that they are proud of. Something that they can show off to others to say that they survived. Because of that, there were no scars to be Healed from my friends.

My fingers slipped beneath the sleeves of my dress and traced over the small, ragged bumps on my skin. I was the only one who had any scars that could be removed. However, if I did that, then everyone would know. Everyone would know that I could Heal.

Scanning the world outside through the window, I couldn't help but wonder what it was that I was supposed to do. I had to learn how to remove scars but the only person I had to practice on was myself. Could I really do it? Could I even Heal myself?

My eyes fell on a small group of people outside. One of the nurses here was talking to a woman and three small children. One could easily see the horror that played on their faces, the terrors, the anger, and the confusion ravaged them. A moment passed and the woman's hands flew to her face, her body shaking severely so that I could see it from this distance.

I could only imagine the news that the woman had to hear. Someone probably died, someone who was close to her, someone I might have been able to save.

Clenching my jaw and setting my shoulders, I knew what I had to do. I was the person I could practice on, I was the only one who could lose the scars but not the pride. My hair flew around me as I ran to my room and over to a small basket beside my bed. Pulling out one of the small vials that Isabella gave me, I opened it up and drank it, the wretched tasting liquid poured down my throat.

A small whine behind me and I looked over and saw Pika staring at me, his little head titled sideways as if he was trying to figure out what was happening. Smiling softly, I walked over to him and patted him on the head.

"I have to do this, Pika." I whispered softly, smiling at him. "It will be fine, I know it will." I had no idea if he could understand me, but I was saying it more to myself. No one was here to help me if something happened. No one was here to coach me. This was the test that I needed. I had to find out if I was really willing to do anything I could to learn. Pushing myself up, I walked back to my dresser and picked up the book that I needed before rushing out of the room and into the bathroom.

Placing my hand on the cold metal pipe, I urged the water to come out and, a moment later, the water gushed out. Taking a deep breath, I slipped from my clothes, allowing them to fall to the ground and rest at my feet. Ignoring the cold water, I climbed in the tub, feeling the water encase my body as I submerged myself in it. I was ready. I had to be.

Taking one deep breath after another, I called out for my Power, allowing it to become one with my skin. Pushing it outwards, it flowed throughout the water and I could feel it as it touched against my skin.

Breathe.

It was time.

The Power jumped at my bidding and I willed it to do as I said. Remembering the steps from the book, I focused on one scar at a time. The water slipped into my skin, separating the scar from the skin. Discomfort flooded my body as I could feel the scars being pushed away from the skin and then was done. One after another, the scars were removed from the body. The discomfort came every time I started and faded when I ended.

Time passed slowly for me. Every second felt like an eternity as I could feel my Power absorbing strength from the water around me. When I finished my right arm, I went to the next. Then my right leg, then my left. After that was my front and I took care not to lose control over my Power as it tried to play around me. With the help of my Power, I was able to focus on the scars that ravaged my back. One after another. Slowly, I removed each scar and, when I reached the last one, I realized that my strength came only from the water. There was no more inside of me.

My eyes fluttered open and I could hear Pika whining outside.

A groan tore from my lips as pushed myself up and I looked down at my skin and a sense of joy flowed through my body. Not a scar was in sight. A slight pink tinge stained my skin from the cold water. Other than that, my skin was smooth, not a single unsightly blemish tarnished it. Reaching for a towel off the stand nearby, I dried myself off and grabbed at my dress that rested on the ground and pulled it over my head.

Climbing out of the tub, exhaustion flooded my body as the last part of me was separated from the water. Shaking my head in attempts to keep myself awake, I stumbled to the door and rested my head against it. My arms and legs grew heavier with each passing second, making it harder to move forward. I yanked the door open as I supported myself against the wall. Pika ran around beside me, his nose twitching as he smelled me.

Reaching the end of the hall, my eyes lazily fell on the couches and I knew I had to get over there. It was so hard to lift my legs. It was like someone had tied rocks onto each of them and I couldn't move. Taking a deep breath, I pushed myself forward and made my way towards the couches.

One step. Two. Three. Four.

I could make it, I just couldn't rush.

My knees gave out from under me and I heard Pika yap as loud and as fast as he could. No pain came when my knees collided with the floor or when a small thud echoed in the silence as my head crashed into the ground.

Pika nudged my face before yapping again.

My eyes closed on their own accord and I fell into darkness.

r