Chapter 87: Alexander

Chapter 87 Alexander

"If what you're saying is true, then we need to find Ariella quickly." I took a deep breath as I attempted to remain calm. I had to think logically if I was to find her and save her. We all had to do that, but it was not going to be easy.

"And how do you propose we find her?" Thomas whipped around, fire dancing in his eyes as he glared at me. "She's hidden somewhere with her scent or whatever it is hidden by some Tracker ability that very few people know about and then, you add that she's with the same woman who abused my sister her entire life." His fists clenched down at his sides as his jaw tightened in frustration. "If they can't find her in time and they kill her, what then?"

"Then we kill the bastards who did it." An all to familiar voice called out behind me, his cockiness rang in his voice and I turned to see my old friend walking towards me, his wife hollowing closely behind me. "I just get back from a quest and I find the City in turmoil." Nicoli grinned at me, his fingers wrapped tightly around the middle of his bow as he walked towards me. "I'm supposed to be your messenger."

"A quest?" I stared at him and he shrugged, draping his arm around my shoulder.

"So, who are we killing this time?" Nicoli questioned, amusement dancing in his eyes as his wife stepped up next to him, her whip curled up in her hand.

"No one if you can't wipe that grin off your face." Mrs. Mathews glared at him and he glanced down at me in confusion.

"You'll have to ignore him, he's naturally an ass." I sighed slightly as I turned to him. "Hern is a traitor and he, with the leader of the troupe that Ariella was in, have kidnapped Ariella, hidden her scent, and we need to find and save her."

"Well I knew about Hern being a traitor. My quest was to try and find him and give Captain Caine information about his location." Nicoli sighed and then shrugged. "It's a long story but I'm back and that's all that matters."

"Can you lead us to our father?" Robert questioned as he stepped forward and then glanced at me. "We need to let him know what we found out. He might be able to figure something from it that we can't."

"I agree. But I think it might be best for a couple of you to remain here to protect the injured." I told him and glanced at him and Dimitri. I understood their love for their younger sister, their need to protect her, but this battle won't be easy. It's not like we're fighting the Hunters, people with no Power, someone they have a fighting chance with; instead we're fighting a an ex-captain and a leader. They were bound to be strong, unbeatable, and they wouldn't stand a chance against the two of them. "Robert, I'd like you and Dimitri to stay here, protect your sisters and Ariella's friends. It's possible that one of them would come here to try and use them against Ariella and I don't want that to happen."

I knew I was stretching, the idea that either of them would go so far to manipulate Ariella was slim. They had it easy enough as it was, she couldn't fight and that was enough. I knew Ariella, I loved her, and I was fully aware of that small part inside of her that doubted. The part that still thinks that she has to fight to mean something, the part that may never go away. They would manipulate her on that, call for their lies over the belief that she was useless if she couldn't fight. That's why we needed to find her. We needed to remind her that she doesn't need to fight. Not with us there to fight for her.

"Well, I can try to get you to the Captain, but he might be on the other side of the City, looking at the wall where the bastards came in." Nicoli shrugged and glanced at his wife. "They're trying to pick up on Hern's scent while one of the Lieutenants is trying to find Lady Ariella."

"Well we need to find him and get to him so just, try." I told him and then glanced at the two younger Mathew boys, neither of them happy with what I had said to them. "Will you two stay?"