Chapter 17: Ariella

Chapter 17 Ariella

"What did Robert mean?" Mother inquired as she walked up to me. "Did something happen today?"

"W-well-" I swallowed nervously as my hands clenched down at my sides. Everyone keeps saying that my Power was something to be proud of, something to use and love. But here I was, standing in front of my mother, knowing that I was going to be in trouble and there was no one here to save me.

"Talk to me, hun." Her voice was soft and soothing as she gently placed her hands on my shoulder. "What happened?"

Silence followed her question. I couldn't bring myself to tell her, I didn't want to. Would she be angry or glad? In all honesty, I wanted her to be happy and proud of me. Though, I couldn't help but be afraid that she would be angry with me.

Mother exhaled slightly as her eyes scanned the room. Her eyes settled on something behind me and she tensed. "What is in the oven?"

"The pizza!" I exclaimed. My hair flew behind me as I ran to retrieve the pizza. A sigh of relief escaped from my lips as I realized that it wasn't burnt. Careful to avoid touching the pan with my bare skin, I placed the pizza on the counter.

From the corner of my eye, I saw Mother holding the jug that I had filled.

I was caught.

My body felt like stone as I turned around to face her. Her eyes were filled with confusion as she looked between jug and me. I swallowed nervously as her lips parted.

"Hun, would you please tell me how this jug got filled?" Her voice caught me off guard. It shook but not out of anger or sorrow, but with excitement.

Her shoulders were relaxed, her knuckles a normal color, her eyes soft and gentle, and an encouraging smile played on her lips. Seeing my mother like that melted my fear away. I felt safe with her, comfortable talking, and that everything was going to be fine.

"I filled it." My cheeks flushed when I saw the smile on my mother's face. She rushed forward and her arms pulled me into a hug. We stayed like this for a moment before she pulled away.

"I'm proud of you." She patted my cheek. "Though, I can't help but wonder what convinced you to try."

"Everyone kept saying that it was a good thing. And then Robert-"

"Used his Power first?" Mother interrupted, her voice shaking with laughter.

"He said if I got in trouble, he would get in trouble too." I nibbled on my bottom lip as she shook her head.

"He only said that because he knew neither of you would get in trouble." Mother gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze before stepped away and pulling a knife out of the cupboard. I followed her over to the pizza and watched as she cut it into pieces. "Well, not that you're willing to use your Power, we can work on the Healing portion of it."

"Y-you want me to Heal?"

"Don't you?" She turned to me with a coy smile. I blinked up at her in surprise.

Did I want to use my Power for Healing? Could I do it? Am I supposed to?

"You'll figure out what you want to do, Ariella." Mother smiled. "Now, hand me the cloth and I'll take the pizza. You can bring the jug. Sounds good?"

I nodded enthusiastically and rushed to do what I was told.

***************************************************************************************************

My head rested on the pillow as my eyes studied the darkness. Father's reaction to the news was almost as enthusiastic as Mother's. I couldn't forget the looks on their faces.