Chapter 6 Ariella

Chapter 6 Ariella

            We finished eating a short while later and stayed there while the others talked about the battle. A few minutes later, Brittney sighed and stood up.

            "Might as well do the dishes now, Natalie. I would hate to get caught up with it later." Brittney said and started to pick up the dishes.

            "Fine." Natalie grumbled and helped out.

            "I-I'll help." I blushed and started to stand up when Mother put her hand on my shoulder and shook her head.

            "You don't have to worry about dishes, my dear." Mother smiled. "The one who helps with the cooking doesn't have to do the dishes. It's a way to get us all to help out around the house."

            "Perks of being the cook." Thomas chuckled and stretched back in his chair. "Also add, if you do dishes then you don't have to help with the cleaning."

            "Or if you have to do dishes after dinner." Mother smiled at him. 

            "W-who's turn is it to do the dishes?" He asked, hesitantly.

            "Yours." They all laughed when he jumped in surprise.

            "Dammit, I had to ask." He grumbled and then looked at me as I started to giggle. He winked once before putting his hands behind his head. "Just do me a favor and make the messiest meals when Dimitri is in charge of washing them."

            "W-why?"

            "It'll put him to work!" He laughed.

            "Hey!" Dimitri protested. "That's not fair. She should be making those dishes when it's your turn so I can make an even bigger mess for you!"

            "Or you can both learn how to cook and take turns in cooking meals." Mother offered with a smile.

            They tensed and looked at her for a moment before looking at each other, grabbing their plates, and rushed into the kitchen.

            "Exactly." She laughed and grabbed my hand. She gave it a gentle squeeze and then turned to Father. "William, do you think that one of us should go check about the status of the troupe? I would like to take Ariella and show her around the City."

            "In a bit." Father groaned and then sat back and stretched. "I am not looking forward to this battle's paperwork."

            "I can only imagine why, with all the injured people." Robert sighed and leaned forward to put his hand in his head. "I watched as Louis got stabbed."

            "I'm sorry." Mother told him.

            "W-who's Louis?" I whispered after a few moments.

            "My cousin on my mother's side."

            "Oh..." I looked down at my hands and nibbled on my bottom lip. "I-I'm sorry." I knew that the Hunters come here because they were following the troupe, but, if it wasn't for me, then the City would not have fought and none of them would have gotten hurt.

            "It's not your fault." Mother whispered and patted my cheek.

            "Huh?"

            "You were blaming yourself, weren't you?" She shook her head when I nodded. "It isn't. Everyone who fought today fought because they wanted to protect the people they cared for. No one will blame you, my dear."