Epilogue

Epilogue- Fifteen years later

Ariella

My footsteps echoed on the pebbled road as my eyes glazed over the buildings. Some were still being built, the larger ones that the men and women who built them had to work together. Many of the smaller homes had already been repaired or rebuild. Books, diaries, silverware, cloth, and toys were all removed from the buildings before the construction had begun. It's been fifteen years since my friend Isabella and I had worked together to rebuild the Healer's section of the capital. We tried our hardest to keep the original structures, the appearances, the beauty, but bringing it back to life. Isabella enjoyed it, enjoyed learning the stories about the people and the world it once was.

As for me? I enjoyed them too. Isabella and I would spend time together, reading and talking about the things we had learned. The culture that was discovered. But, there were other things to. Many things that had helped me grow and appreciate the life that I had been given. Through the last fifteen years, my husband and I had expanded our family by four. Two sons and two daughters. Alexander had been promoted to Captain just five years ago and he goes to work every day, remembering his family back home. Our eldest son, Damien, was already in his training to be a Protector, one that, as he says, would be better than his father. Our second eldest, Mathew, was different, less into the combating methods of fighting and more into the observing. Though he was still young, I had a feeling he would quickly follow into Robert's footsteps and be a scholar. The girls followed a few years after, Cordelia as the first born, and, a year later, little Lily followed. Those two would hardly leave me side, but would often join me in the hospital when I worked to tend to the injured. Both of them willing to help even with the smallest of things.

The white stoned building towered over me and I smiled brightly as I looked up at it. I remembered the day we had cleaned and finished repairing the damage that time had ravaged on this place, we had all gathered to celebrate. Finally, the abandoned part of the city was getting repaired and was no longer considered terrifying.

Slowly walking up to the marble door, my hand fell against it, waiting for them to open as they always had before. Once again, they didn't disappoint. The pillars and floors were whole once more, the windows replaced and the sun shone through, casting different colors on the ground. The small altar that stood at the end of the long hall was draped with a beautiful white cloth with light, silver blue trims that curled around the edges. The building glowed with radiance, beauty, and love and would often take my breath away.

"I knew you would come." The familiar voice sounded in my head as I turned and watched water slowly rise, forming the watered form of Nimiane. She floated forward, a gentle on her face as she got closer. "Tomorrow, it really is tomorrow."

I nodded and smiled brightly. With Nimiane's help, I had learned what I needed to learn to become an Elder. To take the Vow to lead those who can Heal, to teach them what others cannot, and to provide them a place in the family of Healers. Through her, I had grown and learned so much of my Power and people. But, now, it was time to say good bye.

"I'm going to miss you." I told her and she nodded and smiled brightly.

"I will miss you as well, Ariella. Together, we had both grown and made an impact on this city and on these people. I know you will do well by them and any and all Healers who come to you." Her hand reached forward and pressed against my cheek, the cool water dripping down onto the blue gown that I had worn. "I miss your girls as well and hope that they, too, will see the beauty in our Power." I smiled politely, knowing why. Both of us want the Healers to return, to live and thrive in the City, with the people. That was a hope we had both shared. Her face changed as a look of defeat flooded her expression as she pulled away. "Sometimes, when I see you, I wonder if maybe she could have had a similar life. If she could have ever been so happy if not for me."