Chapter 61: Ariella

Chapter 61 Ariella

Snow drifted downwards, slowly settling on the white ground. My arms wrapped around my waist, holding me tightly to provide a little warmth before I turned back towards the fire. So much had happened since I got out of the hospital, I had learned that Alexander was training to take over my father's position one day, winter had started, snow caressing the windows and the ground below.

A soft knock interrupted my thoughts and my gaze followed a white blur that rushed towards the door. Pika hunched up, his tail wagging wildly. I laughed softly as I walked around him so I could answer the door. My fingers wrapped around the cold metal of the doorknob and I pulled it open, my eyes blinking in surprise as I looked up at my visitor.

"Ariella!" The Queen laughed as she stepped forward, her arms slipping around me and pulling me into a hug. "Oh, it's been so long, my dear! Things have been horribly busy with the City lately, I haven't had a single moment to do what I want." She stepped inside, closing the door behind her before latching her hand around my wrist and pulling me forth. "I've heard so much about everything that's happened to you, my dear child, and I have to admit things have been hectic for you." She smiled at me and led me over to the couches, sitting on the one closest to the fire.

"And how have you been, my lady?" I asked her as I sat beside her, my eyes falling to the small green fan that sat between us.

"Oh, perfectly fine!" She laughed, her finger prodding my cheek. "I actually came here because there's something I wanted to talk to you about."

"And what would that be?" Confusion filled my body as I stared at her smiling face, her eyes twinkling mischievously.

"As I'm sure you're well aware, your father has taken on an apprentice."

"You mean Alexander."

"Exactly!" The Queen leaned forward, her hands clasping onto mine. "Of course, I know all about you and the boy, but that's not why I'm here." Her finger tapped against my nose before she jumped up, her hair flying around her. "You see, it's tradition that a ball must be thrown when an apprentice is taken or promoted. And, as of today, your Alexander is the official apprentice for the Captain of the Protectors. We have decided to throw the ball in one week."

"So soon?"

"Oh, but of course!" She laughed as she reached forward and patted my cheek. "I would have had it sooner, but Madam Thread would have my head if I did such a thing to her!"

"Why would she do that?" I questioned as I attempted to imagine Madam Thread hurting someone.

"Oh, don't worry about it, my dear." The Queen waved her hand in the air, her laughter echoing in the room. "I came here to request that you go back down to the seamstress's so she can retake your measurements and make you a dress appropriate for the ball."

"What kind of dress would be appropriate?" I questioned and her eyes narrowed slightly before one of them twitched slightly.

"I've already chosen the dress for you, my dear, she just needs your measurements." Her hand patted my head, three soft taps and then her smile grew. "One more thing, I want you to come over to the palace around noon the day of the ball. I'm dying to help you get ready!"

"O-of course." My cheeks flushed as I stared at her. I wasn't sure what else to say to her as she beamed down at me, her eyes sparkling with happiness.

"Good! So, I'll see you in a week, my dear!" She patted my head once again before turning on her heel and walking away, Pika racing after her.

*****************************************************************************************

"Sounds like fun." Isabella leaned back on the couch, her shoulders slouching slightly. "With the ball in a week, everyone's going to be fairly busy to get everything done on time."

"If everything gets done on time." Calida snorted before turning on her side and looking at me. "Hey, Ariella, what are you doing tomorrow?"

"I don't have anything planned." I told her and glanced at Isabella who sighed.

"You've already asked the rest of us for help, why are you pulling Ariella in?" She demanded, her hand clasping onto mine and squeezing it slightly.

"Other than it's fun to annoy you?" The black haired girl sniggered before turning to me. "My baby sister is having a birthday tomorrow and I wanted to know if you'd come and help us watch them?"

"The party's at her house and she doesn't really need help." Isabella rolled her eyes and stood up, staring down at Calida in amusement. "This happens every year, she doesn't want to be alone with her little siblings and their friends so she asks us to go over there."

"There's going to be about fifteen kids in my house, yeah, I need some distractions." She shrugged and then turned back towards me. "So, will you come?"

"I'd love to." I told her and she smiled at me and then sprawled out on the couch.

"I guess we could escort you to the seamstress's, if you'd like." Calida offered, her voice low like a soft moan as if she was reluctant to get up.

"I wouldn't want to be a bother." I smiled softly and she snorted, her hand jabbing out in Isabella's direction.

"She's a bother, not you."

"And what is that supposed to mean?" Isabella demanded, her toes tapping the ground impatiently.

"Only that you're a bother." Calida showed no emotion while her eyes danced with merriment before jumping up and stretching. "Come on, you. Let's get you over there and back before I have to go to work."

"Isn't it training day, today?" Isabella questioned, a soft grin played on her lips as we walked towards the door, both of them grabbing their cloaks. My fingers drifted over the small cloak that the Queen had given me so long ago, and I couldn't help but remember what I used to be like. How afraid I used to be.

"Don't remind me!" Calida grumbled as my hand grasped the small fabric and pulled it over my shoulders. "They're making us go hand in hand today and, of course, I get the biggest girl of them all."

"Afraid you might get pummeled?"

"Afraid I might kill her." She muttered as she slipped around me and edged towards the door. "Come on, let's get this over with."

Isabella and I followed her out the door, the cold air already seeping into my cloak as we walked down stairs and out the door. The cold wind pierced my skin and I wrapped my arms around me to bring in the warmth.

My gaze brushed the surrounding areas, studying my surroundings. People filed in and out, bliss filled their faces as they walked back and forth, the ball mentioned almost every second. Suddenly, my eyes fell on a shape in the shadows, a man holding a bow as if he was ready to strike. Then he disappeared, almost like he never existed.

"Ariella, come on!" Isabella shouted back and my head jerked around to look at her. The two of them were already plenty of steps ahead of me and I blinked in confusion. My eyes flicked over towards the shadows once more before rushing towards my friends.

I had no idea who it was, all I knew was that I wasn't getting a good feeling from seeing him there.

4EK