Chapter 24: Ariella

Chapter 24 Ariella

The soft click of a door closing caused my eyes to jump to the main door and stared at a rather exhausted looking Robert. This was the third time this week that Robert had returned home after everyone had gone to bed and I could tell that it was taking its toll on him. Giant, dark colored spots stained the spots beneath his eyes, a sleep-like gaze drifted around the room, and his feet dragged slightly as he stumbled towards me, a giant book clasped under his arm.

"Robert." I whispered as I shoved myself up, my book colliding to the floor as I rushed to him. "Are you alright?" I asked him, my hand rose slightly, attempting to touch his arm.

"Yeah." He grunted, his eyes looking around and settled on something behind me. "You went to the library?"

"Y-yes, today." My cheeks flushed and he nodded sleepily.

"I got this for you to read, I thought it would help you." He mumbled as he lifted the book and handed it to me. The book was gigantic, almost the size of my torso and at least a hand's length width.

"Thank you." I mumbled, unsure of what to say.

"It's a book of Healer abilities. It has lessons for beginnings and some stronger ones." He rubbed his eyes with the back of his hands before slipping an arm around my shoulders. "Make sure to get some sleep, alright?"

"I will." I promised, a sense of worry filled my body as he nodded again. He stumbled towards the hall and my eyes fell back to the book. "Robert?"

"Yes?"

"Why were you at the library?" I asked him, my voice soft and filled with confusion.

"Research." He grumbled.

"For what?"

"You." He gave me a sleepy grin before lifting his hand in the air and giving me a small wave. "I told you, I'll find out what that black line is, until then, don't worry about it."

"J-just don't kill yourself, please?" I took a step towards him, my hands clasped above my chest as I stared at him, my eyes wide with worry.

"I won't." He promised before turning around and closing his bedroom door.

I inched back to the couch, collapsing on the seat while allowing the book to fall from my lap. The others were exhausted when they had returned from work, they were exhausted the last few days. They'd come home in time for dinner, eat, and would go to bed shortly after. They had tried to stay up with me the first night, only to fall asleep on the couches within minutes of sitting down. A part of me wondered when they would get another day off and why they had to work so much and another part of me merely wanted them to be fine.

My eyes fell back to the giant book that Robert had given me and my thoughts turned to him. Why was he pushing himself so far to figure it out? He did tell me that it was fine. Unless he didn't think it was fine. But why would he lie to me? What was the gain from that? If he was lying, than what was wrong with me? What could have him so worried that he would force himself to stay awake; pushing his body beyond its limits to figure out what was wrong?

Leaning forward, I picked up the book that I was looking at and flipped through the pages as I curled up on the couch.

The Vow.

The word almost popped out at me as I skimmed the page. A part of me remembered what the others had said about a Vow and I still wanted to know what it was about.

The Healer's Vow is a sworn promise that a Healer makes when she is of age; it is a Healer's way of choosing her path, or way of life, for the rest of her years. There are two main Vows: the Fighting and the Medical Vows. The Fighters' Vow is a promise to protect the innocent, their home, and their families while the Medicals' Vow swears to tend to the injured, the broken, and the Fighters who are hurt in battle. The people of the Vows must work together, complete each other, so that the world will remain in balance.