Chapter 14: Ariella

Chapter 14 Ariella

            A fire crackled in the middle of the camp; the women walked to and fro, ignoring me as if I wasn't even there. I preferred that. Especially today. I started bleeding, I knew it. My stomach hurt. It was like someone was stabbing me and, if it wasn't that, it was a painful grip. I tried my hardest not to let anyone know. None of them could know. I couldn't let them know.

            The liquid in the pot started to boil and I slowly put the meat and vegetables in. My body groaned in protest as I bent down to pick up the food next to me. When everything was in the pot, I knelt next to the fire as I stirred to stew.

            "Well, well, well." The leader sneered as she walked up to me. Her short blond hair danced in the wind, her green clothes clung to her skin, and her sword rested on her waist. "I heard an interesting rumor, girl. Perhaps you can tell me if it's true."

            I glanced at her and swallowed nervously.

            Did she know? Did she know what is happening?

            "You see, someone told me that you were bleeding, again."

            I whipped around to look at her, my body tensed in fear. How did she know? How did she always know?

            "Come, now. You know what it means." She sniggered as she pulled a dagger out of her sleeve. "Stand up."

            "I-I'm sorry." I whispered as I slowly picked myself up from the floor. "I-I'm so sorry."

            "Too late." Her arm lifted at the same level as my cheek, a sneer playing on her lips. "Time for your punishment." The knife swiped across my face, blood oozed down my cheek. The leader stepped closer; her fist buried itself in my stomach. My head crashed against the ground as I collapsed, the women's laughter echoing in my head.

****************************************************************************************

            The pain was what woke me.

            I was curled up in the bed, under the blankets, but the pain still transferred over. Tears streamed down my face, my broken sobs sounded through the room, their laughter echoing in my ears, the smell of blood filled my nose.

            My eyes searched through the darkness, looking for something to help.

            Pan was lying next to me. I reached up and grabbed his arm. I pulled him closer and held onto him as I cried. The pain lessened. The tears didn't.

            I went back there again. I saw her. I couldn't understand why. Why I was still plagued with the memories.

            Someone knocked on the door and squeaked slightly. I buried myself in the blankets, my nose into Pan's back.

            "Ariella?" Mother's voice whispered.

            "M-mama?" I muttered into Pan's back. A gentle hand rested on my shoulder and I looked up to see my mother's face lit by candle light.

            "What happened, hun?" She asked as she stroked my hair. "Did you have a bad dream?"

            "A-and my stomach."

            "What's wrong with your stomach?"

            "It hurts."

            "Hmm." She placed the candle on the dresser and knelt next to me. "Let's see if I can find out why, alright?"