9: The Duel

Chapter Nine
Riley Matthews

    "Hi, Riley!" Farkle greeted me as I sat down at my desk.

    It was now the start of another school day and we were now in History class. Of course, Maya was not there since she was still in the hospital.

    "Hi, Farkle!" I replied.

    I then turned around to see Lucas whom was sitting in the desk that is behind the one where Maya usually sits.

    "Hi, Lucas!" I greeted him.

    Lucas said nothing. He just sat there and stared at the chalkboard.

    "Maybe he didn't hear me," I thought to myself.

    Just as I was about to repeat myself, my dad barged into the room on a pink unicycle.

    "Dad, what does this have to do with the lesson?" I asked, raising my hand.

    "Oh, nothing at all!" He answered, "My car broke down, so Auggie's girlfriend, Ava, let me borrow this."

    "How come you didn't just take the subway?"

    "Because they turned it into a sandwhich and sold it to the fast food chain, Subway."

    "Oh, ok."

    With that being said, Dad hopped off of Ava's unicycle, somehow managing to land flat on his feet. He then began to teach today's lesson.

    "Hey, Farkle!" I greeted my friend as I placed my tray down on our lunch table and sat down next to him.

    It was now lunchtime and all of the eighth graders were in the cafeteria. My day was pretty much a blur for me. All I can remember was that whenever I would try to talk to Lucas, he would just act as if he didn't hear me. But, when Farkle talked to him, he'd immediately respond. If I would even try to join in their conversation, he would just act if I wasn't even a part of it. Why the heck was he ignoring me?

    Even at one point Farkle asked, "Lucas, why aren't you talking to Riley?"

    But of course, he just ignored him and changed the topic.

    "Riley, I don't mean to upset you, but look," Farkle told me as he pointed towards the lunch table right next to ours.

    Steam was now pouring out of my ears. Literally! I could actually see steam coming out of the sides of my head! Lucas was now sitting down next to my enemy, Missy, chatting away with her. Were they flirting? I growled. This could not be happening. Just not again. I hopped right out of my chair and pushed it in. I marched straight up to Lucas and Missy's table. I slammed my fists down on it right in between where the two of them were sitting.

    "NO!!!" I cried as I slammed the table again, "Just no!"

    Missy smirked as she intertwined Lucas's fingers with hers. "Jealous?"

    "Ha, like I'd ever be jealous of you! I'm upset that my friend would ever leave Farkle and me for someone as snobby as you!"