19: Did I Do Something Wrong?

Chapter Nineteen
Maya Hart

    "RILEY!!!" I cried as I chased after my best friend.

    But, it was too late. She turned down one street and by the time I turned down the corner, I could no longer see her. I noticed that there was a light post right next to me. I leaned against it, trying to catch my breath.

    "Man, Riley is fast!" I thought to myself, "If would have been able to get my ice skates off faster, I could have stopped her by now!"

    "RILEY!!!" I shouted, cupping my hands around my mouth.

    There was no answer. I felt tears forming in my eyes. I was starting to become worried now. Did Riley really just leave me like that? Did I do anything wrong? Was it something I said? I then thought back to what had just happened back in the ice skating rink. When Riley had feel on top of me, I felt some kind of spark that I have never felt before. By the way she was acting, I think that she might have felt it too.

    I started to run again. "RILEY, PLEASE COME BACK!!! I'M SORRY FOR WHATEVER I DID TO DRIVE YOU AWAY!!!"

    Again, there was no answer. But, I kept on running. I had to find my Riley. After about ten minutes of searching, I finally gave up. I collapsed onto a light post and began to sob. My best friend, the only person who can see me right now, had just ditched me. I was all alone again.

    "Why would Riley leave me like that?" I thought to myself, "I didn't do anything wrong, did I?"

    I then tried to think back really hard on what had just happened.

    "Now that I think about it, when I held Riley like that, she did look really uncomfortable...," I realized.

    "Oh no, I-I r-ruined o-our fr-friendship!" I sobbed, "I-I d-don't kn-know wh-why I-I f-feel th-this w-way t-towards h-her o-or wh-why I-I h-have n-never f-felt i-it un-until t-today. I-I just d-do. When R-Riley r-realized h-how I felt wh-when I h-held her like th-that, sh-she m-must h-have gotten grossed out o-over th-the f-fact of her b-best f-friend liking her l-like that! And instead of t-telling me o-off o-or how she r-really felt, she just d-ditched me!"

    I stopped talking to myself for a moment and took in a few deep breaths to try and calm myself down. However, it didn't work; I was still crying. But I guess when someone like Riley, my best friend whom I just recently discovered that I have a crush on, leaves you, it can really be devastating, especially when you are in limbo and have no one else to talk to.

    "I-I was wrong wh-when I said th-that I-I thought I-I knew what w-was going on inside of h-her head!" I cried, "Sh-she o-only s-sees me as a b-best friend! She was j-just really un-uncomfortable!"

    "No, Maya, you know Riley; if she didn't feel the same, she just would've told you," my consciousness told me, "If she was uncomfortable, she would have just said so. She would have told you the truth instead of running away. Riley would never ditch me over something like that, especially now where the only people we can talk to is each other. Riley is very accepting of all people, especially you. Now, think harder. There has to be a better reason for why she ran away."

    I tried to recall what had just happened while Riley and I were staking as best as I could. Now, that I think about it, Riley didn't look uncomfortable at all. In fact, when I held her like that, she looked as if she didn't know what to do. But, I think that she knew what she wanted to do. Also, I remember her blushing. If Riley was uncomfortable and did not feel the same, she wouldn't have been blushing. Maybe she would have blushed because she was embarrassed about the fact that she had tripped and fell on top of me, causing us both to come crashing down, but if that was the case, she wouldn't of blushed for that long. Also, she wouldn't of looked in my eyes the way I was looking in hers. She knew what she wanted to do, but why wouldn't she do it? She could obviously tell that I felt the same way. She knew that I would have loved for her to do what she wanted to do because I secretly wanted to do the same thing. And that thing was to kiss.