32: Never Say Never

Chapter Thirty-Two
Maya Hart

*Start playing "Never Say Never" by the Fray. Brace yourselves for an emotional chapter*

    "Are you ok, miss?" A kind police officer asked me as he helped me out of my dad's Toyota.

    In the background, sirens continued to blare and red and blue lights continued to flash. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see other police officers shoving her against a police car, putting handcuffs on her as they arrested her. The one police officer just grabbed my hand and started to walk me away from everything.

    I could hear her wailing, "I'm sorry! I'm sorry! Please, I promise I'll never do it again! Please, I'm sorry!"

    Some things we don't talk about
    Rather do without

    I frowned. I felt ill inside after what just happened.

    The police officer must have notice my change in mood because he told me with a smile, "Hey, everything's going to be ok now. See, they're putting handcuffs on the girl who tried to run you over right now!"

    "I know," I huffed, "Good."

    "Did you know that girl by any chance?"

    "Yeah, and I can't believe that she's ever try and do something like that to me."

    Ashamed and proud of
    Together all the while

    The police officer frowned. "I'm sorry."

    "It's ok. It's not like I'm surprised by it. Just upset."

    "Hey, Maya, are you ok?" I heard a soft voice ask me.

    I looked up to see my dad. His blue eyes were filled with concern and love. Tears filled my eyes as I began to process everything that had just happened even more.

    Younger now than we were before

    Instead of answering him, I just let go of the police officer, ran up to Dad, and hugged him. I began to cry as he wrapped his arms around me, bringing me into a tight embrace.

    Don't let me go, don't let me go, don't let me go

    "I'm so sorry, Dad!" I sobbed.

    "Sorry?" He asked me, "For what? None of this is your fault!"

    "I'm so sorry for running away from you at CVS! I shouldn't of done that! I almost ended up in a terrible car accident where I would have went into a coma for several months! You all would've missed me, and I would've missed you all..."

    "Maya," Dad said, looking me in the eye, "It's ok. I understand."

    "Y-you d-do?"

    Dad nodded. "Completely."

    "How?"