1: The Accident

Chapter One
Riley Matthews

    "Alright, so what do you want to do, Riles?" My best friend, Maya Hart asked me.

    It was now just a little bit after 3:00 on Friday, September 18th, and Maya and school had just let out a half hour ago. We were now at my house in my room, sitting at my bay window as always.

    "Um, work on the project like we planned on doing?" I stated, raising an eyebrow at Maya.

    As you can see, my father, Cory, our history teacher, is making us do an assignment where we have to make a presentation about one person in our class that has to be at least twenty-five slides long. At the end of the year, we will be presenting them to the whole entire eighth grade in the auditorium. My dad didn't specify what we had to put on the presentation exactly. He just said to find out information about your parter and to get to know them personally first, then add the most interesting stuff that they found out about them to the presentation. Since Maya and I know each other better than anyone else in our class, we decided to pair up together.

    "But, Riley, that's not due until the end of the school year!" Maya whined.

    "I know, but I told you that I wanted to get an early start," I told Maya, "And you said that you wanted to too. That's why we both agreed that you would come to my house after school so we could start the project."

    "Yeah, here's the thing; I sort of only agreed to that because I wanted to come over to your house today."

    "Aw, how sweet! Maya, you do realize that you could've just told me that you didn't feel like getting started on the project today, but wanted to come over to my house anyway!"

    "Really? I was gonna say that, but I didn't know how you were going to react."

    I furrowed my eyebrows. "I would've said that it was fine and that you could come over. How else would I react?"

    "I don't know. I just thought that maybe you wouldn't wanna hang out with me if I didn't agree to work on the project."

    "Why wouldn't I want to ever hang out with you? Maya, you're my best friend! I love hanging out with you! What made you think that I wouldn't want to?"

    Maya sighed, then shook her head. "You know what? Just forget I even said that. I love hanging out with you too."

    "Thanks! Anyways, what made you want to come over my house so badly that you lied to me about wanting to work on the project today?"

    "Nothing. What, I'm now allowed to want to go over to my best friend's house?"

    "No, of course you are! It's just that you know that if you ever want to come over to my house, you can just ask. And that's what you usually do. If not, then I already invited you over before you even asked me."

    There was a short moment of silence.

    "My dad came back, Riley," Maya said out of the blue, "He's been staying in my house."

    "For how long?" I asked, a worried look coming over my face.

    "Two weeks."

    "What? How come you didn't tell me sooner?"

    "I didn't want you to worry about me."

    "Why would I have to worry? What has he been doing to you?"

    "Nothing, Riley."

    "Ok, what about your mom? Has he done anything bad to your mom?"

    Maya sighed. "He lost his job, Riley. That's why he moved back in with us. Because he was broke. Him and my mom have been fighting. A lot."