Give Your Heart A Break

Liz's POV

Niall  I were sitting close together inside my bunk. We were cuddled close together and Niall sighed, shaking his head.

"What did you need to tell me?" I asked. I want to know his reason for hurting me. I wanted to know why he thought he had the right to hurt me like this. I let it go because I love him, but I still deserve an explanation.

"Liz," Niall began, his voice soft. He sounded unsure of himself. "I know you probably hate me right now-"

"I don't hate you." I cut him off, and I placed a soft kiss on his cheek. "I could never hate you, Niall. I love you."

Niall squeezed his eyes shut, as if hearing me say that hurt him.  "I know you do, Liz but I just need you to understand. I love you, and I care about you so much that I can't stand to see you get hurt."

The words he was saying wasn't lining up to how he was acting. How was intentionally hurting me supposed to not hurt me? "I don't understand." I said, shaking my head.

"Let's be real, Liz. Long distance relationships never work out. We all know that." Niall sighed. "Especially me. I haven't had...much luck with long distance relationships and they've all ended in heartbreak on both ends. That's why I've been treating you the way I have been. I thought that if I distanced myself from you, it would make our break up easier."

I felt as if my heart broke. "So...you want to break up?" I asked, my chest feeling tight. I felt numb. My mouth was slightly open because I couldn't contain the shocked feeling I had.

"Do I want to break up? No way! Will breaking up be the best solution for us? I think so." Niall admitted sadly.

"No! That's not true!" I yelled in defense. I was not letting him give up on us so easily. I loved him. I've said that to so many people in my life before, but it has never felt this real with anyone else. I truly loved Niall with all my heart, and I could not stand to let him let me go. "What gives you the right to decide that we aren't going to work? We're different! We have something. We're special!"

Niall pulled me closer to him. "Shh, Liz." He said, and I could see that there were tears in his eyes. "This isn't what I want, trust me. If I had my way, I would lock us up forever so we could grow old together with no interruptions. If I could do that, I would but Liz we both have a career and a life and maybe our paths will cross in the future. Right now, we just need to let go." Niall said.

"I can't let go! Niall I love you so much! I cannot let go of this. Please don't do this to me!" I begged, tears flowing down my cheeks.

Niall sighed and pressed a kiss to the top of my head. "Liz please calm down. I understand this is hard, but we can be together in the future. When there's a chance of us having a better...chance, I guess."

I pushed away from Niall, and stumbled out of my bunk. I was wiping at the tears on my face-which were probably making my make up smudge-and I backed away. "Niall..." I couldn't think of anything to say. I didn't know how to make him realize that I needed him. That I loved him, and that I longed to be with him. "Niall you can't do this to me, please." I whispered.

Niall climbed out of the bed and refused to meet my eyes. He stared at the floor. "Just know that I still love you Liz, I just think we should...take a break. Until we can figure things out."

I took a step back, my heart ripping apart. "Oh," Was all I could manage. Niall opened his arms, as if he wanted to give me a hug, but I ran away from him. I quickly locked myself into the bathroom, and collapsed on the floor.

I could not believe that the love of my life just broke up with me. I was a sobbing mess on the bathroom floor of One Direction's tour bus. I felt so ridiculous yet so broken. My fingers tangled their way into my hair as I rocked back and forth, trying to get the pain out with each shuddering sob, yet nothing worked. The pain was so overwhelming I just didn't know what to do. Until I looked up and saw the razor sitting on the sink counter.

Megan's POV

I heard crying in the bathroom and immediately recognized it as Liz. I felt anger bubble up in my chest and I stormed to the bunk areas to find Niall, standing there, staring at the ground. There were tears running down his face, and he didn't bother to wipe them away. He just let them drip onto his shirt as he stared at nothing.

"What did you do?" I demanded, my voice coming out a lot softer than I expected. I guess the sight of him crying broke me a little. I hate seeing anyone upset.

Niall looked at me, but his gaze didn't really reach me. I could tell that he was in that emotional state where nothing matters. You aren't mentally here. He just stared at me and responded in a broken voice, "I'm sorry."

My eyebrows furrowed together. "What do you mean? Niall, what happened?" I touched his arm to try to get his attention.

He just stared at my hand for a few minutes. "I did what we needed to do. I did what was needed for her heart to not be broken." He replied.

And then it hit me. "You broke up with her?" I whispered, unable to believe it.

Niall just squeezed his eyes shut as more tears streamed down his face. "I'm sorry." He repeated.

I let go of Niall and backed away from him. "She loved you so much. She has never been happier with anyone...how could you?" I whispered, not able to find my voice. "I need to find Liz." I spun on my heels and ran straight to the bathroom. I knocked on the door and called, "Liz? Please let me in!"

Liz's crying was softer now. "No, leave me alone." She called back, and I could hear the brokenness in her voice.

"Liz please let me in. It's me. Megster." I called, hoping that would get her to open the door. I'm her twinnie. Why would she shut me out?

"I don't care. Go away Megan!" Liz snapped.

It felt as if my own heart broke. Liz has always let me comfort her when she was upset, and now she won't even open a bathroom door for me? Tears blurred my vision and I sat outside the bathroom, my back to the door.

"I'm right outside if you need anything." I murmured, not even sure if she could hear me. I was a bit dazed honestly. I thought she would want me to help her, but clearly she didn't.

I leaned my head back and closed my eyes. I envisioned Liz sitting in the same position as me, only on the inside. Maybe she'll open up to me later. Maybe she needs time. Maybe she needs space.

"I love you, Liz." I whispered.

And I could hear the sound of metal dropping as a response.