Do You Care?

Niall's POV

I woke up the next morning alone in Liz's bed. I figured she woke up before me and was getting something to eat. I rolled over and heard a paper crinkle underneath me. I pulled it out, and read it.

Don't let me go, Niall. -Liz

I felt my heart rip as I read those words. I didn't want to let her go. I want to keep her mine. I want her to be my beautiful girlfriend until I grow old and am wrinkly and no one else loves me anymore. But how can I do that when the tour is ending, and we'll be separated for so many months? I know what's best for the both of us-and this is it.

I folded the paper and started heading towards the kitchen, when I saw Megan and Liz curled up together on the floor. Liz's face was blotchy, as if she had been crying. I wanted to scoop Liz up in my arms and carry to where we could be in private and hold her and calm her down, so that she knows that nothing was going to happen...but I couldn't.

I sighed, stepping over Megan and Liz, and I headed to the kitchen. I rummaged around in the freezer, and pulled out two waffles. I grabbed a plate and decided to eat them cold. Lots of people find it strange, but I personally enjoy cold waffles over warm ones.

 I was munching away on them, when Megan woke up. She sat up and stretched. I could hear some things crack in her back, and I felt a little bad that she slept on the floor. It must have been so uncomfortable!

Then I saw Liz, and my heart started pounding. Her back is really sensitive, and she'll be so sore today! Someone should move her to a couch! I started standing up to carry her to a couch, when Megan looked over at me. Her eyes narrowed at me, and I sat back down I fear. Oh no. She's going to yell at me.

"Niall," She said, trying to make her voice sound light. The key word there was 'trying' because she sounded very angry.

"Yes?" I asked, taking another bite of food. I wanted to seem casual, so that she didn't know that I knew what was coming.

"Niall how could you?" Megan asked, sounding a little hurt. She got off the floor and headed over to me. She was standing a few feet away from me now, and I wish she wasn't so close. Who knows what she's going to do? For all I know-she could slap me or something!

"How could I what?" I asked.

"How could you do that to Liz? How could you break her heart like that? She cried herself to sleep last night because of you!" Megan confronted me, her voice gradually getting louder and louder.

Harry stirred on the couch and saw what was going on and hopped off the sofa, rushing over to Megan. "Hey, what's going on?" He asked, putting a soothing arm around Megan.

"He's breaking Liz's heart!" Megan said, tears welling up in her eyes.

I kept my face neutral because I didn't want anyone to know what was going on. I needed them to think that I was losing feelings for Liz. I didn't say anything.

Megan seemed to become angrier with me for not saying anything. She narrowed her eyes at me and yelled "Do you even care? Don't you care that Liz's heart is breaking because you're treating her like trash? You're tossing her to the side, and you're standing here straight and tall." Megan's voice cracked and she collapsed crying into Harry's chest.

Liz woke up at the sound of all the yelling and she looked at everyone. "What's going on?" She asked, walking over to us.

"Nothing," Harry said, though he was sending me daggers with his eyes.

"Leave me alone!" I yelled at him, my eyes narrowing as I got angry.

"No! Why don't you care?" Harry yelled, gritting his teeth. "You're breaking her heart, Niall. Go back to the girl you swore you loved. What happened? Why are you doing this?" Harry demanded.

Liz seemed to figure out what was going on, because tears started falling down her cheeks. "Leave him alone, Harry. He doesn't deserve this." Liz said quietly.

My face softened when I heard her. Even though I'm putting her through all this crap, she still sticks up for me. How could I do this to her? How could I be so heartless to break her heart? No, I'm no breaking her heart. I'm giving it a break. "Liz," I said aloud by accident.

She looked up at me hopefully. "Yeah?" She asked, her eyes brightening up a little. I hadn't even realized that they lost their spark. She lost that happiness because of you, dummy.

I shook my head quickly, "Nothing." I said, turning away from her to face Harry again.

Liz let out a sob, and turned away from me. Harry looked at her and said, "I just can't believe you can actually do this to her." He shook his head.

Liz turned around and said, "Niall," And I turned to her, a little shocked that she was actually going to say something. She typically lets me get away with this. Se  usually takes whatever I have to say to her.

"What?" I asked, trying to keep my voice calm. I was a little scared as to what she wanted to say.

"How can you stand there straight and tall, and see I'm crying...and not do anything at all?" She asked, and she let out another sob.

I felt my eyes become moist as she said that. You see, Liz and I had watched this movie called The Last Five Years together, and she was crying afterwards and admitted that it was her worst fear to have someone leave her like that, and I promised her I would never hurt her like Jamie did to Cathy in the movie.

That was one of the lines from the song, and I realized that I was turning into Jamie.

"I'm sorry, Liz." I shook my head and pulled her into a hug. "You see, I just didn't want to hurt you."

"You didn't want to hurt her, so you decided breaking her heart would be the answer?" Harry said, glaring at me.

I glared back at him and said, "I'll explain it to you once we can be in private." I kissed the top of Liz's head and walked away.