Chapter Four - When You're Gone

I walked into class with Victoria and dumped my bag on the floor by the door. She looked over at me and smiled. "You really brought it yesterday. I was really impressed." She noted.

"Thanks." I sat on the ground and slipped my converse shoes off. "It felt really good too. Smooth."

Like I had been liquid moving through air, there had been nothing restricting me. It was fluid and fluent just how Victoria had wanted.

"Well, I didn't tell you, but we had a scout watching as well."

"A scout?"

"For the NY Dance Company." She replied.

"I thought they were coming to the showcase." I replied, I suddenly questioned the choice of outfit. It hadn't been Company standard. In fact it had been borderline street wear.

"They will, but they usually ask to attend auditions as well. Often they find that the most talented stand out from the very beginning. For the first time, they have offered a student a place based off the auditions."

I smiled, it was probably Greg. He was amazing on his feet, and for a muscly guy he was surprisingly sprite. I slipped my dance shoes on and stood up. "Who?"

Victoria walked across the floor with a white envelope in her hands. At the top was an NYDC emblem. She smiled at me and then tilted her head to the side before holding it out toward me. "You."

I shook my head and stepped away from Victoria, her outstretched hand and the letter. Dancing in the NY Dance Company was a big thing. I'd have to travel all around the world. I'd see even less of Jackson. I gulped and shook my head. "I can't."

Victoria pursed her lips and step forward, she reached for my hand and placed the envelope inside it. "I know you are in love and that is great Amber. But you cannot settle when your dreams are waiting for you to live them. Life is too short to have regrets."

I bent down and shoved the letter inside my bag without even opening it. Victoria was still watching me when I stood again. She placed her hand on my shoulder before walking away.

I ignored the letter for the remainder of the day, or at least tried too. Like a beacon it seemed to let off some kind of silent alarm that reminded me of its presence all day long and y the time I could go home I couldn't stop myself. I sat in the car and opened it.

Dear Amber Coulson.

Our scout, Mr. Watson attended the auditions and was incredibly impressed by your technique and ability. We are excited to offer you a yearlong placement with the NY Dance Company to start immediately after the semester finishes. Your placement includes a salary and regular travel.

We understand that you will need time to make your decision so this offer is available for two months.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Grant Gustave

Director of the NY Dance Company.

I stared at the words, unable to absorb what they meant. I couldn't do it. I couldn't leave Jackson. I shoved the letter in the bottom of my bag and resolved to forget about it.

When I got home Jackson wasn't there. I checked my phone, but he hadn't left a message. I ignored the slight rise of frustration. Although I had looked forward to him being here when I got home, something I had missed for over a week now; I couldn't expect him to just stay home all day. I walked across the apartment and dumped my bag on the couch. I was making a green tea when the apartment door opened and Jackson walked in with a bottle of what looked to be expensive champagne and a bunch of flowers.