Chapter Eighteen - Be My Forever

Jackson lifted me into the air and held me there for a minute. I felt free, freer than I had in such a long time. I was back where I was supposed to be. Slowly, as he brought me back down to the ground, he kissed me, softly at first, until neither of us could handle the reddened embers beneath us. Lust erupted into flames around us, it was body and soul consuming. the apartment could have been on actual fire and I wouldn't have noticed.

"I need to be with you." Jackson murmured, breaking from the kiss.

"You are." I replied, resting my forehead against his.

His hands moved from around my waist, up to my face, he caught my eyes in his, they shone with mischievousness. He grinned and kissed me again, then trailed kisses down my neck.

"You know I didn't mean like that Amber."

"I'm innocent Jackson smith. I have no idea what you're talking about."

He let out an amused chuckle. "I love you."

"I love you too Jackson."

Jackson kissed me again before either one of us could speak, somehow, we made it to the bedroom. We peeled the clothes of one another like wrappers of a parcel, It wasn't until I stood there in nothing but my panties did I realize everything we had been through. It was enough to break any couple up, soulmate or not. But somehow, even if there had been ups and downs we had made it through in the end.

I felt a lone tear streak down my face, and I hoped it would sneak past Jackson's knowledge, I didn't want to ruin the moment with my wayward emotions again. Jackson, who was in tune with not only my body, but my mind too, knew despite my hope.

"Amber, we don't have to do this, you've had a rough day." He whispered running his hands up and down my arms.

"We've had a rough few months jackson."

"That is true." He replied with a melancholy smile. I hadn't meant to make him feel guilty, but I could see it etched into his face anyway.

"How did we get lucky enough to make it through?" I offered.

"Half perseverance, half the patchwork family's blind luck." He grinned and pressed his lips to my forehead. "How we got here isn't going to worry me anymore though baby. Because I don't plan on letting any of it come between us ever again."

We kissed again, only this time we didn't stop. The bed was still unmade from the night before, but that didn't bother Jackson. He cradled my head as he lay me down, his body hovered over mine.

He sprinkled kisses over me like a sun shower in the summer, beautiful and necessary. I writhed beneath him, the connection was almost too much for my sensitive skin to bear.

Time nor distance had severed the bond we had forged. Not since we were kids, and not now. I was and always would be in love with Jackson Smith.

Just when I thought he was planning to take his time and wind me up, he moved within me, letting out a shallow breath as he did so. I was lost in an instant, lost in him, lost in love, lost in dreams of the rest of our lives.

I felt myself falling apart, his affect on me was unwavering, he had always been able to press the right buttons, and now was no exception. We were a perfect fit.

I lay in Jackson's naked embrace afterward, unsure of where my body ended and his began. This was how it was meant to be. Tomorrow we would have to face a whole new set of hurdles, but right now everything was perfect.

**

We fell asleep together, and when I woke without his arms around me I panicked. I sat up in cold fear that he was gone again, or worse he had never come back and it had all been a really messed up dream.