Renegades

I haven't updated in a while. Sorry about that.
Here's a Song!Fic.

TW: depressed thoughts, alcoholism, drug use and family breakups.

I know seperations within families are tough. You all can talk to me about anything <3 Just slide into my messages whenever.

Song: Renegades - X Ambassadors

--

The sunset, the sea, the sights.
Nothing else mattered as he sat on the sand that day.
Except for his thoughts.
His need for escape.
He would someday.
But his someday wasn't here yet.

~2 months later~

Before Dan knew it, he was back to school. Being 18, this year was his senior year. This lead him one step closer to graduating. This calmed, yet frightened the tall brunette. Dan has had ideas in the past of what he wanted to do with his life, but those were just ideas. He's still not sure.
Decision making was tough.
He had decided he would leave it for a little longer.
As he was making his way towards his locker to get his books for the next class, he collided with another body, making the person drop books.
"Crap, I'm sorry I wasn't looking where I was going. I'll help you with these."
As Dan was about to lean down for the books, he made eye contact with the student.
Wow.
Black hair, bright blue eyes, tall with pale skin. Like, really pale skin.
"That's alright. I wasn't really paying attention to where I was walking," he replied with.
He bent down to pick up half the books whilst Dan got the other half.
After picking up all of the textbooks from the floor of the busy hallway, Dan handed the books to the boy.
"Thanks a lot," said the boy.
"No problem," replied Dan with a grin.
As they were about to go seperate ways, the stranger spoke again.
"Oh, my manners. I didn't get your name. I'm Phil. Phil Lester." He stuck out a hand to Dan.
"I'm Dan. Dan Howell."
They shook hands before saying goodbyes and heading to their classes.

Dan liked him. He wished he didn't. Not yet.

~.~

Runaway with me

The two had gotten the opportunity to learn more about each other over the last few weeks. They've learnt that they share the same music interests, tv interests, film and food interests...They also share some of the same classes at school.
They currently lay in Dan's backyard on the tickly grass, star gazing on the chilly September night.
"Phil?" Dan asked.
"Yes?" Phil answered, still enchanted by the stars.
"Have you ever thought of like...running away?"
Phil turned himself so he was facing his friend.
"Well um, I did once when I was younger. When my grandfather died. See, we were really close. Although, I was a kid, I still remember all the time we've spent together and I still remember how special he thought I was. So yeah, I thought about it once."
"Aw Phil," Dan sighed, pulling Phil in for a hug.
Dan knew he had a a crush on Phil.
He couldn't hold it back, especially because the feelings were growing stronger everyday. Dan also couldn't hold back that he was bisexual. He just..knew. He had told Phil and he was completely okay with it, because he's gay himself.
Love is not a choice.
Soon, they both pull away from the hug.
"I'm sorry about your grandfather," said Dan softly.
"That's okay. It's not your fault. Thanks Dan."
The brunette smiled.
Both guys silent.
"Um, the reason I mentioned the runaway thing was because..I've been thinking about that kind of thing for the past few years now," said Dan with nerves in his voice.
Phil put a hand on Dan's shoulder.
"You can tell me anything, I'll listen." Smiled Phil.
Dan took a deep breath before beginning.
"It started when I was thirteen."

Lost souls in revelry

~Flashback~

"Daniel!" My mum shouted, breaking me from my usual trance.
"Who would you like to live with? Me, or your father?" She muttered at the end.
Dan sighed.
He didn't know who he wanted to stay with. Ever since the arguing began, Dan's been upset and confused. He loved both his parents, but their divorce had to ruin it all.
What would happen to the family now?
No more movie night, game night, family meals, video games, anything! That's the thing that Dan remembers and treasures most from his childhood. Spending it with his family.
His heart ached a little thinking about the change he would have to adjust to.
Dan finally came to a conclusion.
"Mum. I pick mum. But can I still visit dad?" He asked walking towards him.
" 'course you can. Anytime son." His dad smiled, but with sadness evident in his tone.
Dan hugged his father tight before letting go.
Dan lived with his mother and his younger brother Adrian lived with his father.
That's how it was.
And that's how it stayed.
As Dan grew up, he got into some bad habits; smoking, drinking, skipping school, clubbing...he was unstoppable. He also lost a close friend of his to suicide recently, so a lot was crashing down on him at once.
He wanted it over.
Dan wanted the pain to be all over.
Maybe running away would be the right way to go..?

~present~

Dan's POV:

Phil lay there with horror noticeable in his expression as his hand was covering his mouth.
"I'm so sorry Dan. I had no idea." He pulled me into a hug and placed a kiss to my clothed shoulder.
I trust Phil. And I want to be able to trust him more. Explaining that storu definitely helped.
"It's alright. Thanks Phil. It truly means a lot."

~.~

Authors POV:

"You can't catch me, mate. Ha!" Shouted Dan as he dodged the trees.
Phil and Dan were indulged in a childish game of tag in the forest behind Phil's house.
"Don't be so sure, Howell!" Yelled Phil in return.

Running wild, running free

Dan's pace was slowing as he was running out of breath. Phil was still running at full speed.
As Dan stopped to catch his breath, Phil collided with Dan, knocking him to the ground.
They both went quiet before erupting into fits of laughter.

Two kids, you and me

When the laughter died down, the tension grew.
Dan's breathed hitched as he realized how close he was to Phil.
Oh Phil.
Dan slowly slipped his hands behind Phils neck all while Phil placed his hands on Dan's cheeks to cup them.
Was Dan actually going to kiss him?
Phil slowly began to close his blue eyes and lean down, as Dan proceeded to do the same but leaning upward.
Their lips touched softly and began to move in sync.
The kiss started off slow and tame, but got heated.
Phil pulled away from the kiss and down to dans neck. He was wearing a v neck tee so his neck was exposed.
Phil planted kisses around Dan's collarbone before finding his sweet spot and sucking on the spot.
"Mm," breathed Dan.
Phil licked the newly forming bruise and then pecked Dan's lips once more.
Bliss.

~.~

I said hey. Hey hey hey, living like we're renegades

Dan and Phil's relationship started off with well...love.
Dan has been able to trust Phil more, which he is quite proud of.
And although, Dan still has these reoccurring thoughts about running away, at least he has someone like Phil to comfort him.
And even if Dan still had the urge to run away, Phil would volunteer to go with him.

--

sorry about the crapping ending.
Maybe I'll get away with it :)

So yeah, I accedentally deleted this whole thing and had to write it again & I'm not really proud of it but I hope you guys think it's alright.

I love you all so much and thanks for reading.