Chapter 38

There's not much to say... enjoy the story :)

Banner by IamWhatYouMadeMeToBe

___________________________________________________________

"Do you know where we're going?" I asked him.

He nodded and stopped to hide in a corner when someone passed by. He waited until the person was far away to respond. "If we follow the direction where the castle is then we can get in."

"How are we going to do that without getting caught?"

He opened his mouth to answer then closed it again. "You know, I never thought of that," he muttered.

I pursed my lips to stop myself from laughing. "Really, did you just think they would let us in?"

"Well, yeah..."

"I can try and get in since they won't suspect of a girl―"

"Not a chance," he growled.

"We'll figure it out when we get there then."

I grabbed his hand and began to sprint. Two step later and I was yanked back by the arm. I looked at him with a confused expression.

"Someone's coming," he mouthed.

My eyes widened in realization and I crouched down behind the big trash can. The smell of rotten food and other stuff will cover up our scents for sure. John crouched down next to me but since there wasn't much space we were squished.

They left a few minutes later. By the time they were gone I stood up and stepped far away from the trash can. I gasped for air and was glad when I smelled clean one. I don't think I'll ever forget the smell of that trash can.

John gripped my hand and we continued running again. We hid a few times along the way when someone was coming, but other than that we made it safely to the castle.

"Over there," John whispered softly, while pointing at a wagon filled with hay. I nodded understanding what he meant.

He looked both ways before sprinting across the street as fast as he could. All I saw was a dark blur as he ran. He appeared behind the wagon spying on the guards. I looked at the door where two guards were standing. They weren't paying attention to the door but to girls that passed by. Every time a girl passed a perverted comment followed them.

I saw John shake his head in annoyance. He turned to me and motioned with his hand to come over there. I shook my head at him. I'm not as fast as him; I'll be caught for sure. He insisted while I kept shaking my head. Finally he sighed, a little too loudly. John froze and so did I. Slowly, I turned my head to the guards.

"Did you hear that?"

"Yeah, it came from over there."

"Let's go check it out."

"You go, who's going to stay guard if we both go."

"Good point."

One of the guards started walking to the wagon. I panicked and did the first thing that came to my mind. I stepped out of the alley and sighed loudly. The guard stopped walking and looked at me. I pretended I didn't noticed and continued walking, sighing once again. I stuffed my hands in my pockets pretending to look miserable.

I glanced at the guard from the corner of my eye and saw him looking in my direction. He was now heading in my direction with smirk on his face. My gaze went back to the stone ground.