Chapter One

I woke up, the sunlight shining out of my window and through the white curtains that hung between my room and the window. I glanced at the time and groaned. Only 8:45??? I could've slept longer!
   On my weekends off and vacations, I try to catch up on sleep, but it seemed to never work. I walked into the kitchen to start a pot of coffee. It never made me hyper, it just made me wake up.
   I walked tiredly to the couch, my old best friend, and turned on the television once more. It was still on the news, and I was too lazy to change the channel. I took a sip of some coffee as they talked about the reports of Walkers.

   "From what we've heard, there were several people on the outskirts of Georgia that never had the shot, you know, the one that keeps the virus down. Somehow, those people met a Walker in the woods, one that wasn't completely dead. Yeah, I know. So we have to be careful again. If they hit Savannah, a very heavily populated area, it could start the second zombie apocalypse. We must take every precaution we can or this whol---"

   I shut the television off. I shook my head and rinsed my cup out. I heard a scratch on my wall, coming from the outside. I sighed. If it's the Parker's damn cat again... I swear...
   I hit the wall with my hand, hoping to scare the cat away. Instead, the scratching became louder and louder. I grabbed my pistol and dagger, hoping I wouldn't have to kill anything. I hated to kill animals.
   I walked out of my back door and looked around. I forced the builders to build me a sturdy, strong, and tall fence. I peered through the cracks of the fence. There was a small pathway to the driveway and fence, between my house and the Parkers.
   I didn't see anything except for my trash can and recycle bin. I rolled my eyes, thinking it was their damn cat. I opened the gateway and walked up to the containers.
   I heard a growl before I was pushed down to the ground, smelling the worst stench ever. Hearing the chomping of teeth, trying to bite me. Oh shit. I put my arm against the neck, feeling the rotten flesh on my skin. I grabbed my knife and stabbed it between it's eye sockets.
   I dug the knife in deeper until the body went limp. I pushed it off of me and backed up against the wall, staring at it. No freakin' way... They were right. Walkers. Holy shit.
   I broke it's jaw off and threw it into the trash can. I grabbed the body and trashed it as well. I closed my gateway and put the padlock back on it, my fingers stumbling and shaking.
   I quickly shut my door and locked every enterance up. I took a long shower, cleaning the blood off of me and the terrible stench. I put on clean clothes and immediantly threw the blood-stained clothes into the washer, with extra bleach.
   I didn't care if they turned white or not. I just didn't want the blood on them. I shivered as I cleaned my knife off, resharpening it as well. Now I knew that the apocalypse could start again, since I just killed a Walker.
   I remembered that I custom built this house to hopefully withstand Walkers. Now, if I'm lucky, I'll just be solo and live like that. Groups never worked well. Betrayal, suspicion, death, and hunger always loomed over a group's heads.
   I took inventory of my provisions, just in case. And put a hidden weapon in each room, even the kitchen, in case I need them. One loaded gun, one razor-sharp knife. Oh yeah. I'm ready for this.
   In the back of my mind, a very small piece of it, was fear. I may have survived one apocalypse, but doesn't mean I'll survive another.