Chapter 24

Beautiful Goodbye - Maroon 5

---------------------------------------

Three days. It's been three slow days since I broke it off with Zayn and it hasn't been easy.

Everyday he tries to talk to me, begs me to take him back. And it's not that I don't want to, I'd give anything just for him to hold me again, but I don't trust him and I wish I did.

He could've just told me from the start what was really going on but he didn't trust me enough to reveal that information to me.

I've been in my room for three days. Not once leaving for the exception of using the bathroom. The bed has become my loyal companion, along with the pillow that soaks up my never ending tears.

There was a sudden knock on my door. It's probably Tyler, since he's been knocking on my door everyday to find out what's wrong.

"Just leave me alone."

"Emily, it's Margaret."

What is she doing here? I sat up and wiped the tears away.

I sighed, "Come in."

The door opened and she walked through. She closed the door behind her and gave me a sad smile as she walked over to my bed and sat on the edge.

"What's wrong, sweetie?"

I stayed quiet and looked down at my fingers as I played with them.

"It's okay. You can tell me."

Why not?

"I, um, I broke up with my boyfriend. He was keeping secrets from me," I said quietly.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Emily."

"Yeah."

"Do you think you made the right choice?"

"I-I don't know. He was my little bit of happiness when I didn't have anything else, but now I don't have him either." The tears brimmed my eyes before soon falling down my cheeks. I put my head in my hands as I sobbed.

Margaret wrapped her arms around me, quietly shushing me as she attempted to calm me down.

After I calmed down a bit, I pulled away from Margaret and wiped my fresh tears away.

"I'm sorry," I said.

"No, don't be. I know what it's like."

"You do?"

"I used to be married actually."

Her words shocked me. "You've been married?"

She nodded. "Yeah," she said sadly.

"What happened?"

"Well, everything was great at first; we got married, bought a new house, and even had a child. A little girl," she smiled but it soon faded. "But then he became distant and secretive. He'd leave early and would come back home late or leave in the middle of the night. I'd ask about his absence but I wouldn't get an answer. I thought he was cheating on me so I asked him if he was and he would only yell and beat me. After a while I had enough so I got a divorce. Eight years of marriage and he didn't care about the divorce. He happily signed the papers and left my life."

"Wow, Margaret. I-I didn't know, I'm sorry that happened."

"Don't be. I guess we just fell out of love as they say."

I nodded and then furrowed my eye brows.

"I didn't know you had a daughter."

"Yes, I did. A beautiful little girl with soft blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes," she smiled. "But she was taken from me."