Chapter 19

Lizzy, my friend, pulled into my driveway at 1:45 A.M. We've been with a few of our friends all day and night, but I had to get back home.

Lizzy grinned as she looked at the time and then at me.

"You're in so much trouble," she laughed. I cracked a smile as I looked at my house. The lights were on.

"I know," I sighed, "but I blame you for keeping me out all night."

"You know you had fun."

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes, "I'll see you tomorrow," I said as I got out of the car.

I walked up to the front door and opened it.

"I'm back!" I call into the house. Silence. No one responded.

I thought all hell would break lose once I got inside.

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion as I walked further into the house. I heard a gasping and walked into the kitchen where Tyler was seated at the kitchen island, crying with the landline clutched in his hand.

I ran up to him. "Tyler, what's wrong?"

He shook his head and looked up at me. His eyes were red as tears poured out of them.

"Mom-" he said in a strangled voice.

"What about mom?" I said as I became worried.

"She went out to look for you and was hit by a drunk driver," he barely said. "S-She's dead, Emily. Mom's dead."

I felt like I was just punched in the stomach. I couldn't think, breathe, or even blink.

My legs felt week and my knees buckled as I fell to the floor.

I couldn't believe what I just heard. It can't be true!

"No, no, no, no, no," I said over and over again. I can't believe it. I won't.

The tears started to run down my cheeks as I cried harder.

Tyler stood up and got on the floor with me. He wrapped his arms around me as we both cried for the lose of our mother.

I shot straight up and gasped for air. I was hot and my hair was sticking to my face. I felt tears run down my cheeks.

It was a dream. Well, a memory, one that I wish I never had.

I held on tight to the blankets that trapped me. My breathing slowed down and I unwrapped the blankets from around me.

I felt something wrap around my waist and looked down to see a tattooed arm.

I looked next to me and saw Zayn peacefully sleeping.

I smiled a little and moved his arm from around my waist. I stood up off the bed and walked into the kitchen where I poured myself a glass of water.

I sat down with a sigh.

I miss my mother, I miss her so much.

That memory haunts me every day and now it's in my dreams too. It's everywhere.

I loved my mom, I still do. Her and I had a bond. I was always better with mom then I was with dad. I was never a daddy's girl.

I felt new tears as more memories flashed through my mind.

I was brought out of my thoughts when I heard the floor creek. I turned around and saw a sleepy Zayn walk out of his bedroom.

He rubbed his eyes and ran a hand through his hair. He looked up and gave me a confused look.