Chapter 21

I slumped on the couch as I watched Friends reruns. I've been staring at the TV for about two hours and I'm bored.

I heard heavy footsteps coming down the stairs and turned my head to see Dad walk into the kitchen. I heard a few cabinets open and close before he stepped into the living room.

He stood in front of me so I turned my attention away from the TV and up towards him.

"You have to go grocery shopping, we're running out of food," he said flatly. I nodded and sat up as he handed me a list and money.

"Okay."

"Hurry up," he stated then started to walk out.

"Can I use your car?" I asked hesitantly.

"Fine," he said annoyed and handed me his keys.

I walked to his car and started it up before driving down the street.

***

I walked down the aisle as I pushed a cart in front of me and put things inside.

I looked back down at the list and grabbed a can of mushrooms from the shelf. I left that aisle and wandered down the next one.

As I walked down the last aisle, I looked up and saw someone familiar examining the food on the shelf.

I looked closer and saw that it was Margaret.

I tried to exit that aisle before she noticed me, but I wasn't fast enough.

"Emily?"

I slowly turn around to see her walking up to me with a smile on her face.

"I thought that was you," she said.

"Hi, Margaret," I greeted and gave her a small smile.

"What are you doing here?"

It's a store, what do you think I'm doing.

"Just getting a few things," I held up my list.

She nodded and sighed when she noticed I wasn't enthusiastic about seeing her.

"Listen Emily, I know you don't like me. And I don't really blame you for that. But I want you to know that I care about your father very much. He told me what happened to your mom and I'm very sorry. But I don't believe that was your fault. I don't want you to think that I'm trying to replace your mother because I don't want to. No one can do that. But I want you to know that I'm not trying to get in the way, okay? I want to help if I can."

I was surprised to say the least. I didn't expect that at all.

No, I didn't like her. Maybe I thought she was trying to replace mom and I didn't like that.

"I'm sorry," I appologized for how I acted towards her.

"It's okay."

"So you don't think my mom's death was my fault?"

"No, I don't," she smiled warmly.

"Thank you," I gave her a genuine smile for once.

To my surprise she hugged me and I hugged her back. She soon pulled away though.

"Well, I've got more shopping to do. I'll see you later, Emily."

"Bye." She walked out of the aisle and I went to the cashier.

After paying for everything, I walked out of the grocery store and back to Dad's car, where I placed the grocery bags in.

I then drove back home and put all of the food away.

***

I walked out of school when the final bell rang and walked across the yard.

I saw Zayn quickly making his way to his car and I had to jog to catch up to him.

"Zayn."

He turned around and looked at me.

"Uh, want to come over and watch a movie?" I asked. He scratched the back of his neck and sighed.

"I can't today, Emily, I have stuff to do. Maybe some other time."

I looked down and kicked the grass.

He's been busy a lot lately. Whenever I try to spend time with him he has something to do. I don't want to sound clingy but he should find some time to spend with me.

"You always have something to do," I frowned.

He sighed again. "I'll make it up to you, I promise."

He then kissed my cheek and got into his car then drove down the road.

I quickly ran to Tyler and tapped his shoulder. He turned around with his eyebrows furrowed.

"Can I borrow your car?"

"What?"

"Can I borrow your car?" I repeated more frustrated.

I looked down the road and still saw Zayn's car.

"Fine. I'll get a ride from Liam," Tyler said and handed me his keys.

I grabbed the keys and ran to his car and climbed inside. I started it and made my way down the road Zayn left on.

I drove behind the car that was behind Zayn so he wouldn't see me.

I followed him for about fifteen minutes before he parked. I parked further down the street.

The area was quiet with no one in sight. All that stood here was an old warehouse and a few abandoned buildings.

I watched from around the corner as Zayn went to the old warehouse and opened the creeky door. He went inside and I caught the door before it closed.

I peeked inside and saw Zayn walk into a room on the other side of the huge warehouse.

What is he doing here? What is this place?

I quietly walked to the room and leaned against the wall outside. The room was surrounded by dirty windows so I peeked through them.

A long table was set in the center with a few guys around it. A man was at the head of the table with two guards behind him, he looked like the boss.

Who are these guys?

I looked to the other side of the room where Zayn was seated. I noticed a head of curls and was surprised to see Harry there also.

Harry? What's he doing here?

They looked like their meeting was about to end so I quickly ran out of the warehouse and back to Tyler's car.

I sat in the car and huffed. What was that? What were they discussing? Is that what Zayn was hiding from me from the start?

I ran my hand through my hair and started the car then drove back down the quiet street.

I have too many questions and no answers. I'm so confused.

Why would Zayn have any business being there?

I drove back home and went straight up to my room. I pulled out my homework to give myself something to do, but I couldn't focus.

I kept thinking about that warehouse. What were Zayn and Harry doing there? And who were those men? What are they doing that it has to be in secret? Is it illegal? It has to be.

Why would Zayn be involved in something illegal? Is he really trouble like everyone said?

I groaned at the many questions I had. I just don't know what to make of what I saw. I probably wasn't meant to see that. I hope no one saw me. I can't ask Zayn about it either, who knows what'll happen if I do.

------------------------

A/N: I know that it's short but it's just a filler.

Margaret isn't so bad after all.

But Emily followed Zayn, she has been to the warehouse.

What do you think will happen?

Remember to vote and comment :)