Chapter 1

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I wake up to the annoying sound of my alarm clock. It's Monday so that means that I unfortunately have to get out of bed and get ready for school. But I decided three seconds ago that I will stay in bed for about twenty more minutes. So I snuggle back into my blankets and close my eyes.

Just when I was getting tired again there was a loud knock on my door. "Emily get up! You have to get ready for school!" my brother, Tyler shouted from the other side of the door.

"No," I shouted back to him.

"Yes."

"No."

"Don't make me come in there," Tyler threatened.

I ignored him and pulled the blankets closer around me. Just when I thought he left me alone he burst through the door and tore the blankets off of me.

"Hey!" I whinied. Once the blankets left my body I felt cold. I shivered and tried to grab my blankets away from Tyler, but he pulled them farther away from me. "Give them back," I demanded.

He ignored what I said, "You have to get ready or else we will be late. So get your lazy ass out of bed and get ready," he instructed.

"But I don't want to," I whinied.

"Oh well," he shrugged, throwing my blankets on the end of my bed and walking out of the room.

I groaned as I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom. I turned on the shower and waited until the water was warm. I stripped off my PJ's and got into the shower. The water felt amazing on my cold body and tense muscles. After I was fully clean I turned off the water and stepped out the shower. I grabbed the towel and dried myself. I wrapped it around my body and walked over to the sink. After I brushed my teeth and hair I left the bathroom and went to my room. I locked the door and took the towel off of me. I put on my underwear and bra before pulling black skinny jeans on and sliding a gray t-shirt over my torso. I grabbed my black converse out of my closet and put them on my feet. I brushed my hair some more and tied it up in a high ponytail.

I was not excited about going to a new school. I have no social skills whatsoever and am very awkward when talking with someone. I hope today will pass by fast so I can get back in bed.

I looked in the mirror and saw that I looked decent, so I grabbed my phone and headed down stairs for breakfast.

I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen to see Tyler sitting at the table eating toast. He smiled when he saw me and pointed to the chair next to him which had a plate of toast in front of it. I smiled back then sat down and started eating.

"Where's Dad?" I asked since I haven't seen him yet today and there wasn't any noise coming from somewhere in the house that would mean he was still here.

"He already left for work," Tyler answered looked down at his plate. Dad didn't say good morning or goodbye to me before he went to work. We've been very distant lately and I don't like it.

I sighed and continued to eat. "But-" Tyler started "He said that he hopes we have a good day at school and that he won't be here when we come back".

"Great," I mumbled. I could tell that this was going to be a long day.

***

Tyler parked his car in front of the school and we both got out. As we walked to the front doors I noticed people staring at us and I didn't like it. I don't like attention and I'm getting a lot of it right now. Tyler noticed my nervousness and put an arm around my shoulder, pulling me into his side. I looked up at him and he smiled down at me. I gave him a small smile in return then looked down at my feet as I continued to walk.