Chapter 30 - New Upload

Chapter 30 – New Upload

The group stood facing the hoard of zombie jocks. They watched in silence as the jocks walked in a circle, bumping into each other and groaning. The group could only imagine what would happen beyond this moment, if the zombie jocks were their actual last obstacle.

Mo wrinkled her nose. “Man, they’ve gotten even dumber.”

“They used to be my friends, my teammates,” Kyle said.

“I dated a jock,” Brand said. “He was actually pretty smart Mo…well, for a jock he was.”

“These guys were monsters before they became zombies,” Nova said. “They bullied me.”

Kyle looked over at Nova. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Don’t apologize for your friend’s stupidity,” Nova said. “I have an idea though.”

Nova walked over to a sack of balls and grabbed two. She rejoined the group, formed a sinister grin and threw one of the balls across the gym and pegged a zombie jock. Her smile grew even wider as she threw the other ball and hit another jock, knocking this one’s head off.

Nova nodded. “This is fun.”

“We’ll, we have to get pass them somehow,” Brand said. “I’ll help.”

Brand grabbed a ball from the sack and launched it across the gym, also hitting a zombie jock. Mo was next to join and once Kyle came to terms with the fact that those weren’t his old teammates, simply their bodies, he joined in the game also. The group kept throwing balls and laughing. They happened to run out of targets and balls at the same time.

A panting Nova leaned over and rested her hands on her knees. “If I die, at least I got to do that.”

Kyle started forward. “Nobody is going to die, because it’s time to go home.”

The group followed behind Kyle, all still waiting for some kind of new obstacle that would stop them. Things got all too real as they entered the boy’s locker room and could see the double door emergency exit. Their hearts raced together as they arrived at the door. Kyle placed his hands on the handle and pushed forward. The door opened and the rising sun started to peek inside. Kyle wanted to feel more of the natural sun on his skin and charged out of the school. The others followed after him with wide smiles across their faces that quickly faded as they were met by raised pistols.

The football field and wherever they could see was crowded with cops and men in white hazmat suits.

“Raise your hands in the air,” An officer shouted as he kept his weapon raised.

The students did as they were told.

“Alright, spray them, subdue them and contain them,” The officer finished.