Chapter 14: Damn Awesome

Brand and his father had many things in common, including how they dressed. They kept things simple and only got fancy when they were desperate. Brand was so desperate that he put on some slacks, a nice shirt and tie. His mom had revealed that they were moving and he would have to transfer to a new school. He wasn’t willing to leave behind his friend and especially Kendrick. Brand knew some would say he was too young to understand love or that this version of love was not pure, but he needed Kendrick in his life. He even invited him over to dinner to help convince his mom they weren’t moving.

His mother made his favorite dish for dinner, hamburgers and sweet potato fries.

Kendrick sniffed his plate of food. “This smells awesome, Mrs. Jefferson.”

She took a seat the table. “Just call me Sheryl.”

“Well Sheryl, excuse my language but once again this smells awesome, damn awesome.”

Sheryl laughed. “Kendrick you’re so silly.” She glanced at Brand. “Satisfied?”

Brand nodded. “Of course, but not really.”

“Is this about us moving?”

“Yeah, mom I don’t want to go.”

She shook her head. “I can’t afford to stay here. I’ve found a better job.”

Brand only got frustrated each time he heard that response. “Mom, life isn’t all about money. We can move to an apartment complex. I’ll do anything instead of moving away from here. You just don’t understand what I have in this town. The memory of dad is here, my friends are here and even my first and forever love.”

Sheryl rolled her eyes. “Love?”

Brand glanced over at Kendrick. He was ready to reveal a new side of him to his mom. “Yes, Kendrick. I love him.”

Kendrick got nervous, not sure how the woman to respond to her son being gay. “He…does.”

Sheryl sighed. “I know you do. I saw it on your webshow when you read his coming out letter.”

“You know about that,” Brand asked in shock.

“Yes, I always sort of knew about you two. You spend way too much time together. I’m fine with it.”

“Then why split us a part,” Brand said.

“You can always meet back up when you go to college. It’s just three years, love can survive that.”

Brand now felt as if he had to prove their love could possibly do that. “It’s still not fair.”

The dinner that night had been full of them discussing their relationship. Brand wished he could have predicted the move in hope of being able to do more to stop it, he wished he could have predicted this zombie invasion but he understood life was unpredictable. As, Brand, John, Carey, Mo and Gia slept soundly in the cafeteria another unpredictable situation was unfolding, their barricade was weakening and the hoard behind the door was strengthening.