Chapter 24 - Burger For A Good Time

Chapter 24 – Burger For A Good Time

Nova underestimated the shallowness of teenagers. She always had friends growing up but that all had change since her weight gain. Nova packed on the pounds during a summer vacation at her grandmother’s house. The southern woman feed her endlessly, fried foods almost every night. Nova was too busy enjoying her summer to notice she had become a bit heavier. Once she started high school, her classmates did a great job pointing it out for her though.

Her freshman year she ate even more out of boredom, loneliness and depression. Once the summer hit she vowed to get back into shape but ended up working to help her family pay the bills. She spent most of her nights flipping burgers and also eating them on her break. She now sat alone at lunch, pretending she was enjoying a salad and watching John across the cafeteria.

She was a bit disappointed with her crush. He made the volcano  after Hector bullied him into it. They got a C.

Hector broke her out of her trance as he waved a burger before her face. “Bite it, baby.”

She pushed his hand from in front of her face. “Leave me alone, Hector.”

“Come on baby cakes, eat the burger for daddy, you know you want it.” Hector made a kissy face at her.

Nova looked over at the table of football players who were all winking and waving food at her.

“I’m going to report you, Hector and your mentally unstable friends.”

“And I’ll report you for being a skank.”

“What,” Nova asked in shock. She barely could get a guy to hold her hand.

“The rumor is you do anything for food.” He raised his brows. “And I mean anything. Not my type, but sex is sex.”

Nova had never been so disgusted and embarrassed. It was the first time she heard of the rumor and it hurt her to the core. She got up from the table and rushed from the cafeteria as she wiped tears from her eyes. Over her shoulder she could still hear Hector laughing and mocking her.

“Damn, I should’ve got extra cheese I guess,” He shouted after her.

Nova turned the corner and tripped over a text book somebody left on the floor. A group of girls laughed as they walked passed her. Nova didn’t even bother to get up. She was embarrassed enough already, this tripping incident only adding to the list. Nova just sat their crying.

“He’s a monster,” A familiar male voice said.

She looked up to discover John. “I hate him.”

He joined her on the floor. “Don’t worry; I have a plan that’s going to ruin him.”

Nova remembered the evil she saw in his eyes. “Are you going to hurt him?” She feared his answer would be ‘yes’.

“Tomorrow Hector will cut into a frog that’s laced with some weird energy juice mixture.”

“What?”

“If things work out, this frog will send Hector on an energy trip that will leave him embarrassed.”

Nova forced a smile not really understanding the idea. “Oh.”

“Tomorrow Hector will fall and see how it feels to be in our shoes.”

John stood and helped Nova to her feet. She knew he was kind, but lately his evil side was starting to show.