Chapter 4 - Baby, Baby, Baby, Yeahhhhh

Chapter 4 – Baby, Baby, Baby, Yeahhhhh

John prepared for almost a month to make a name for himself at the school talent show. Not only did all the students take it very seriously, but also the town. A few years ago three students from the school ended up getting casted on US Got Talent after their performances went viral. John saw this as an opportunity to prove he was talented and finally climb the social ladder.

Hector was currently on stage performing the popular song Hot and I Know It with the football team. They were wearing silly tie-dye outfits and doing crazy dance moves. The crowd was clapping and laughing. John noticed the local news cameraman kept his camera on their performance the entire time without bothering to show the crowd’s reaction. They were that entertaining that they were getting their full performance aired, John wanted that. He knew he wouldn’t get that if he performed this classical song he prepared to play on the piano.

“Those fools,” Ms. Sissa scoffed as she walked beside in the backstage area.

John glanced up at her. “The crowd loves it.”

“Yeah, but that’s because you haven’t wowed them yet.”

“You like my music?”

Ms. Sissa nodded. “Yeah, I used to teach next to the música class. I’ve heard you play. Mr. Rodgers adores you.”

“Really,” John’s face lit up. “He’s the best music teacher ever.”

“It sucks that he’s sick tonight, but I know he would want to hear you play.”

John never felt so proud to be himself. It was a nice feeling.

Hector’s performance ended and he received a standing ovation. As Hector and the football made their backstage they nearly ran over Ms. Sissa and John. After an introduction was made, John made his way on stage to a quiet audience. He sat down at the provided piano and cleared his throat.

He started playing his song and he noticed a few seconds into the song people in the crowd were yawning. John glanced back to discover Ms. Sissa proudly smiling and encouraging him to go on. Her smile was encouraging but not enough to convince him that this was a good performance. John needed to switch it up, get the crowd’s attention, out do Hector.

John switched the tune and sung out the words, “Baby, baby, baby, yeahhhhh.”

He managed the sing and play the entire overly popular pop song. His performance ended and the crowd responded with laughter and boos. He sat mortified as everybody shared his performance on their phones and uploaded the videos online. John got the crowd’s attention, but he didn’t like it.

He rushed from the stage and bumped into Ms. Sissa. ”Move,” He whimpered out.

She shook her head in shame. “Sweetie, what were you thinking? Imagine how Mr. Rogers would’ve felt.”

John did discover how Mr. Rogers felt. The man saw the video online and was highly disappointed. All of that didn’t matter anymore because inside the music room, tangled in a set of drums was zombie-Mr. Rogers. Brand stood still as John made his way over to the piano and started to play for his fallen teacher. He owed the man one last performance. The second he finished the classical tune, a teary eyed John glanced back at Brand.

A shaky hand Brand removed a pencil from his pocket, knowing what had to be done. “I’ll end his misery.”

John looked away and lowered his head. He couldn’t watch.